View Full Version : Challenge accepted

WillFolsom
22-Feb-2011, 09:41 AM
OK, I noted in one of the postings that "durian" was going to send me fleeing for the bathroom. I've read about durian, but never found any to sample. Guess it is not a local item, even in luxury stores. My next door neighbor has a Vietnamese background and he knew exactly what I was asking about. He will pick up a fresh one at the local Vietnamese market here in Northern Virginia and will give me a taste. He says he likes it, but his mom loves it! His wife (who is Korean) says that it is very sweet. I'm up to the challenge. I'll report back on who "won" the taste test. William;P

Commander
22-Feb-2011, 09:51 AM
:bsmile: Good luck, Bill!

If you don't puke, then you're one of the rare Americans around who can tolerate durians. :cheers:

I wonder if Les has gotten used to durians in Thailand. But those of us who love durians will know that the Thai ones are larger, but lack the strong "aroma" of the King of Fruits in Malaysia. :grin2:

Psyche
22-Feb-2011, 10:14 AM
If you are eating durian from a market in America, then I presumed it can only be the defanged version.
Some of the local varieties can send most Westerners packing.
Fortunately or unfortunately ( if you're a local ) such varieties in many kampungs (villages) are being phased out in favour of selected cultivars with a more acceptable pong (depending on who you are ).

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
22-Feb-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, thanks for reminding me, Seow. I recall testing out a durian that was on sale in London a couple of years back. Somehow, the taste and aroma are not as strong, causing my English friends to say that I exaggerated the smell. Do they cultivate GM durians these days?

Bill, looks like you'll have to make a trip to Malaysia/Singapore to taste the 'real mccoy'. The US durians are wimped down versions. :bsmile: :bsmile:

Psyche
22-Feb-2011, 10:26 AM
Do they cultivate GM durians these days?

Nope. As far as I am aware of.

WillFolsom
22-Feb-2011, 11:08 AM
Guys: I'll give most things a try. I'm curious why there are no canned durian products on the market given the size of the Asian community here in the United States. We now have a growing chain of Korean food markets (H-Mart) that carries a huge array of different fruits, vegetables, fish and shellfish, and many stables from throughout Asia. Need to ask the manager the next time I'm there for help in finding durian. Anything else I should add to the list? William

Great Mormon
22-Feb-2011, 12:01 PM
Guys: I'll give most things a try. I'm curious why there are no canned durian products on the market given the size of the Asian community here in the United States. We now have a growing chain of Korean food markets (H-Mart) that carries a huge array of different fruits, vegetables, fish and shellfish, and many stables from throughout Asia. Need to ask the manager the next time I'm there for help in finding durian. Anything else I should add to the list? William

Canned durians?!?! Thats sacrilege!!! I think durians can go bad easily, and most of them are sold fresh, as a whole fruit. At most they will package them in containers for easy eating, but again, they are not meant to be stored.

Glorious Begum
22-Feb-2011, 12:30 PM
You must try the Pahang (Malaysia) "Musang King" durian.

Read this http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_553733.html

He bought Musang King (Mao Shan King). You can get cheaper here in Pahang.

Heard that durian season is coming. :redbounce

Psyche
22-Feb-2011, 12:46 PM
Guys: I'll give most things a try. Anything else I should add to the list? William

Bill, if you intent to go on a diet, why not give stinking tofu a try. It should be an 'enlightening' experience.:prrr:

Painted Jezebel
23-Feb-2011, 08:32 AM
:

I wonder if Les has gotten used to durians in Thailand. But those of us who love durians will know that the Thai ones are larger, but lack the strong "aroma" of the King of Fruits in Malaysia. :grin2:

I have eaten Durians, but I find the taste 'lingers', and keeps repeating!!!! Actually, I come across durian trees during my walks on a regular basis, and find the smell of the ripe fruit very pleasant, though any western guests I have with me tend not to agree.

I do like the durian moon cakes, however.