PDA

View Full Version : Two Euthalias and ?

guldsmed
19-Feb-2011, 07:57 AM
I seriously need a book, can I ask some more help?

I have put tentative IDs on two of these, but I am probly wrong, and the last I have no idea...

All are from Khao Sok, Thailand 25th December 2006.

Painted Jezebel
19-Feb-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi there,

Be patient for the book, it is better to get the up to date one coming out shortly, than the 2006 edition with all its errors. In the meantime, show your pictures here, several of us have the old edition (and the later list of errata) and will help.

Yes, the first is Bassarona dunya dunya.

The second can not be Euthalia merta. The arrowheads are pointing inwards, E. mertha is the only species in Thailand where these arrowheads point outwards towards the margin. It looks very much like a female Tanaecia pelea pelea, to me.

The last one is Cirrochroa emelea emelea.

Psyche
19-Feb-2011, 12:45 PM
The second can not be Euthalia merta. The arrowheads are pointing inwards, E. mertha is the only species in Thailand where these arrowheads point outwards towards the margin. It looks very much like a female Tanaecia pelea pelea, to me.[/I].

Right on. Notice the tips of the arrowheads reach midway into those elongated spots, the blue cell-end spot, the largely brown hindwing, and the less robust build.
( Probably a male. )

TL Seow:cheers:

guldsmed
19-Feb-2011, 06:34 PM
Thx a lot - I am certainly planning to wait for 2. edition (not quite a decision as could not find the first available anyway), but as for waiting patiently, that I can not do :grin2:

guldsmed
20-Feb-2011, 04:42 AM
So I saw two different Cirrochroa that day, as this picture was taken not long before the other:

guldsmed
20-Feb-2011, 04:52 AM
More from same day and same place, I find it very difficult to be certain about the Lexias...

guldsmed
20-Feb-2011, 05:08 AM
A lycaenid is all I am sure about...

Painted Jezebel
20-Feb-2011, 11:28 AM
The easy way to tell L. dirtea from L. pardalis is that D. pardalis has orange tips to its antennae, so you have the right species there.

The Lycaenid is the highly distinctive Arhopala democritus democritus. Nothing else quite like it!

Psyche
20-Feb-2011, 11:42 AM
In Lexias pardalis, the antennal club is yellow or orange and clearly seen all round.

The lycaenid is Arhopala democritus democritus .

How far north is Khao Sok ? Too far and I am lost since the range of species different from peninsular Malaysia can be tremendous.

TL Seow:cheers:

guldsmed
20-Feb-2011, 06:20 PM
Thx a lot both of you!

I knew about the antenna, but was in doubt as to how easy it was to see. When there are very similar species involved, it is always more difficult, until you have experience with both...

Khao Sok is in the south of Thailand, north of Phuket but south of Isthmus of Kra, so I guess most species are are also in Malaysia.