View Full Version : Today's trip to the hills

Painted Jezebel
11-Feb-2011, 04:57 PM
I went up in the hope of seeing another S. seliga and a couple of other rare montane species. No luck in that respect, but I did find some unusual ones, though they were not cooperative re photos.:thumbsdow

Nevertheless, I think I may have found a +1.

1) Is this Pantaporia paraka paraka? I have no experience with this species. I am hoping for a 'Yes', please!:grin2:

2&3) Another pesky Caltoris species. Any ideas as to which one?

4) Just because I like the different pose, which shows up the markings nicely, Hypolimas bolina jacintha.

5) Is this Jamides pura?

Psyche
12-Feb-2011, 06:20 PM
1, Yes , this is a female P. paraka paraka. The only spp. with the 2 submarginal bands angled in at space 3 on the forewing.

I have thought Aaron would have been quick off the mark to ID this one.

2. What luck that you got an upper shot as well. I still have trouble telling a Caltoris from a Baoris, but I know all Baoris have dark bodies, so this is a Caltoris.

Salient features : full complement of spots in space 1b, 2, 3, 4, a set of three in space 6,7, & 8, & two big cell spots.Underside hindwing with an ochreous overlay. Female.

The 3 spp. with 2 prominent cell spots are:
C. brunnea is out because its underside hindwing is deep purple brown.
C. cahira is out because its underside is very dark chocolate brown.
C. bromus fits the bill because its underside hindwing is shaded ochreous. The female will also have a full complement of spots as that of the brunnea female ( pl. 60/23 )

Two other with two cell spots sometimes (though one will be very small) can be eliminated thus ; C. cormasa, purple brown underside hindwing. and C. sirius, very narrow spots in spaces 2 & 3.

5 Jamides celeno female
Only in J. celeno are the striae consistently ( always ? ) out of alignment. The female is also unique in having very rounded forewings compare to its congener.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
12-Feb-2011, 09:22 PM
1, Yes , this is a female P. paraka paraka. The only spp. with the 2 submarginal bands angled in at space 3 on the forewing.

Thank you, Seow. Yippee! Species 320, and second for this year already. I was pretty sure I was right but wanted confirmation.

I also thought it was C. bromus, but I was not sure about a female C. brunnea, both species have been found here, but I am yet to get a photo of the latter, so I am always hopeful.:grin2: I hate the Pelopidas group of genera.

Blast about the J. celeno, as I still have only one very poor shot of J. pura. Never mind.

Great Mormon
13-Feb-2011, 12:04 AM
Les, just you wait, we are catching up, slowly but surely!
Congrads on species 320 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

wengchun
17-Feb-2011, 12:13 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
nice.

where did you go?
I noticed a lot of butterflies during my last week bird guiding assignment up in Fraser's Hill.

Glorious Begum
17-Feb-2011, 12:44 PM
You made my day. :cheers:

In which part of Fraser's that you have seen most activities ?

I noticed a lot of butterflies during my last week bird guiding assignment up in Fraser's Hill.

Painted Jezebel
17-Feb-2011, 01:21 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
nice.

where did you go?

Koh Samui Island, Suratthani Province, Thailand, highest hill 635m. Its where I live, Wengchun.:) It is just, lacking mountains here, some of the supposedly montane species are found at lower levels than on the peninsular mainland.

wengchun
17-Feb-2011, 01:56 PM
You made my day. :cheers:

In where part of Fraser's that you have seen most activities ?

It was a day trip to Fraser's Hill for bird watching. Therefore, I concentrate along Telekom Loop and several other spots in the hill station. There were butterflies along the loop as we stopped for bird waves.

wengchun
17-Feb-2011, 01:57 PM
Koh Samui Island, Suratthani Province, Thailand, highest hill 635m. Its where I live, Wengchun.:) It is just, lacking mountains here, some of the supposedly montane species are found at lower levels than on the peninsular mainland.

OIC. Never been to Koh Samui but heard alot about it. you must be one of the luckiest person in the world to get the montane species at low elevation. :D

Commander
17-Feb-2011, 06:39 PM
It was a day trip to Fraser's Hill for bird watching. Therefore, I concentrate along Telekom Loop and several other spots in the hill station. There were butterflies along the loop as we stopped for bird waves.

Ah... that's the area where Sunny found the Jezebel HQ and all of us had a fair chance at shooting them on the nice Lantana flowers. :)

wengchun
18-Feb-2011, 10:53 AM
Ah... that's the area where Sunny found the Jezebel HQ and all of us had a fair chance at shooting them on the nice Lantana flowers. :)

Ok. Will be going up to Fraser's Hill again early next month for another bird guiding assignment. Hope I can get some butterflies together with the birds. :D

Glorious Begum
18-Feb-2011, 11:43 AM
Most of my birding friends like to stay at Jelai. But it is under renovation now.

Any recommendations ?

:cheers:

Ok. Will be going up to Fraser's Hill again early next month for another bird guiding assignment. Hope I can get some butterflies together with the birds. :D

Silverstreak
18-Feb-2011, 11:10 PM
Jelai is right next door to the MayBank Bungalow we stayed last August . Actually for butt hunter any hotel is good as long as there's butterflies and beers!!:bsmile:

Hope to meet more of these Red-base Jezebel next weekend.:)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----1229---05_08_2010-copy-5.jpg

....must get the Purple Sapphire this trip!!!

Great Mormon
19-Feb-2011, 12:03 AM
All the best Sunny! I'm sure you will be able to nail the purple sapphire

Glorious Begum
19-Feb-2011, 09:18 PM
Actually for butt hunter any hotel is good as long as there's butterflies and beers!!:bsmile:

Hope to meet more of these Red-base Jezebel next weekend.:)

....must get the Purple Sapphire this trip!!!

Very true indeed. :bsmile:

Must get the Red-base Jezebel next week end too. :bsmile:

WillFolsom
25-Feb-2011, 09:19 AM
We both have rain, but a hard rain slightly above freezing doesn't make for great photos the next morning. I certainly wish I had the chance to wander around shooting such great shots, day after day. And they all look so perfect. You guys need to find me a job in Singapore! William

wengchun
27-Feb-2011, 07:30 PM
Most of my birding friends like to stay at Jelai. But it is under renovation now.

Any recommendations ?

I usually stay in Shahzan Inn. Must stay closer to my birding guest. I've stayed in Arundel and Bunge bungalow, it's pretty good.