PDA

View Full Version : Pyraloidea collection

Painted Jezebel
31-Jan-2011, 12:10 PM
Owing to the rains, most of my photography has been at night. The majority of moths have belonged to the very understudied Pyraloidea, and here are just a few of them. It has been said that there could be as many as 50% of the group still to be described, so I have sent my photos to an expert for (hopeful identification). I, personally, have only been able to id the first four of the group below.

Some are remarkably beautiful!

1) Cirrhochrista brizoalis
2) Diaphania indica
3) Glyphodes bivitralis
4) Talanga sexpunctalis
5) onwards Unidentified

moloch
01-Feb-2011, 06:10 PM
They are beautiful, Les. They certainly are a worthwhile diversion while you await sunny skies.

atronox
04-Feb-2011, 02:50 AM
The range of patterns seems infinite!:grin2:
I find that the smaller moths always have very intricate designs, especially the micropterigoidea and eriocranoidea.

hkmoths
28-Aug-2011, 11:21 PM
5 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Maruca amboinensis
6 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Glyphodes bicolor
7 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Leucinodes orbonalis
8 - [Thyrididae] - Herdonia sp. (will have to dig out Inoue's paper on this genus)
9 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Polythlipta sp.
10 - Crambidae, Musotiminae - perhaps a Musotima sp.
11 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Eurrhyparodes tricoloralis
12 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Sameodes cancellalis
13 - Crambidae, Pyraustinae - Isocentris phoenicozona
14 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Parotis sp.
15 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Lamprosema sp. c.f. similis
16 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Omiodes sp. c.f. diemenalis
17 - Crambidae, Spilomelinae - Nacoleia sp. c.f. insolitalis (not quite a good match, but close)

cheers,
Roger.

Painted Jezebel
03-Sep-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Roger, it is great to hear from you again. Thanks so much for the IDs, the 'expert' never confirmed receipt of the photos, so I sent a gentle request just to confirm, and still got no response, so your identifications are very helpful.

I have a couple of questions :-

1) Concerning No. 6 (Glyphodes bicolor). I already had this species in my files, but it differed in that the forewing inner white bar does not reach the dorsum, unlike in the one pictured above. Is this aspect variable?
2) I have been using the photos in the BOLD Systems - Taxonomy browser to try to get IDs, and the photos for Leucinodes orbonalis look very different from my specimen, which is closer to Leucinodes sp. ANIC1. Is this a very variable species?

hkmoths
04-Sep-2011, 12:36 PM
both of these species are identified based on existing published taxonomy - I am aware these two species groups are in need of revision.

cheers,
Roger.

Painted Jezebel
10-Sep-2011, 01:35 PM
A further batch from last year's rainy season. These are the last of those which seem, to me, quite distinctive. Nevertheless, despite considerable searching on the net, I have been unable to get confirmed IDs for any.

There are still a further 59 'species' in my UFO file, but they are rather nondescript, and could be any of many similar species.

1) A Musitoma species. Possibly M. marginipuncta, but there are sufficient differences on the forewing to give me doubts.
2) Prophantis species #1
3) Prophantis species #2
4) Nymphicula species. Possibly N. tripunctata.
5 - 10) I have been unable to get even close on any of these!:embrass: :thumbsdow :hmmm:

hkmoths
02-Nov-2011, 11:53 PM
last one = Dysallacta negatalis

hkmoths
02-Nov-2011, 11:55 PM
#6 = placed to either Odontiinae or Cybalominae, probably the latter.