PDA

View Full Version : Cambodia Checklist (South Cardamoms)

MrGee
24-Jan-2011, 10:37 PM
I maintain a butterfly checklist (http://www.rainbowlodgecambodia.com/butterfliesatrainbowlodge.htm) on the website for the ecolodge where I live and work. I hope it is acceptable to simply link to it from here, so I don't have to maintain two lists. All butterflies have been seen at Rainbow Lodge or on excursions along the local rivers and in the local jungle. Each item in the list links through to a basic page about each species.

Some identifications are not 100% certain but I am still a newbie and struggling with some (sub)families :hmmm:

An corrections gratefully received.

Cheers
Gee

moloch
28-Jan-2011, 04:36 AM
Hello Gee,

It is good to see some shots of butterflies from that part of Asia. I visited Nam Bai Cat Tien and Dalat before for birds but now would like to return and have a look at the butterflies and reptiles. I imagine that many species are shared between Viet Nam and Cambodia.

What is the best time of year for butterfly activity?

Regards,
David

MrGee
29-Jan-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi David,

There seem to be butterflies here all the time but when the milkweed (at least I think that is what it is) is in flower, we seem to get a wider variety. That period is just about over. Having said that, I have seen three new (to me) species in the last two days.

Generally, we tell people the best time of year to visit Cambodia is November or December because it (should be) after rainy season but while everything is still lush. That period certainly coincides with a lot of butterfly activity.