View Full Version : Crab spider attacks

horace2264
12-Jan-2011, 10:44 PM
Sharing pics of two instances of crab spider attacks on two poor butts. :-(

bluefin
12-Jan-2011, 11:50 PM
It seems that butterflies are quite prone to attacks by crab spider due to its camouflage nature.

Its color and size blends nicely with some of the more common nectaring plants.

Here's one more to share.:-(

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4218710347_ddc036558d_o.jpg

horace2264
13-Jan-2011, 10:56 AM
It seems that butterflies are quite prone to attacks by crab spider due to its camouflage nature.

Its color and size blends nicely with some of the more common nectaring plants.

Nicely captured. :thumbsup: What butt was the victim this time?

May be others can share their pics of such attacks here, just to consolidate them on one single thread. :)

bluefin
14-Jan-2011, 12:06 AM
Nicely captured. :thumbsup: What butt was the victim this time?

May be others can share their pics of such attacks here, just to consolidate them on one single thread. :)

I think this is Jacinthe Eggfly, this was taken in Dec2009. At first I was approaching the subject as it seems to be having a feast at some flowers.
As I go nearer and nearer, it still remain motionless perched nicely.
Till I touch it, then I realised that it is dead and the crab spider is juz under the palpi of the victim.:-(

Here's another pic, can u spot the small white fella.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5352170604_01946236c1_b.jpg

horace2264
14-Jan-2011, 12:37 AM
I think this is Jacinthe Eggfly, this was taken in Dec2009. At first I was approaching the subject as it seems to be having a feast at some flowers.
As I go nearer and nearer, it still remain motionless perched nicely.
Till I touch it, then I realised that it is dead and the crab spider is juz under the palpi of the victim.:-(

Here's another pic, can u spot the small white fella.

Agree that it is a Jacintha Eggfly, poor fellow. On closer look, parts of the crab spider can be seen near the head of the victim.