View Full Version : Collaboration with Wildlife Reserves

Commander
10-Jan-2011, 04:43 PM
I met the CEO of WRS yesterday morning, with some of her staff, and took a walk around the grounds of MOG. The place is really deteriorating fast, and parts are overgrown with weeds now (which is good news for butts). I saw some skipper activity, but didn't have the time to go check them out.

The Zoo staff will be working with the former tenant of MOG to transplant some of the bigger Torch Ginger plants. They will also be permitted to translocate as many of the Metallic Caerulean as they can find. Two sites have been selected - one in the Zoo and the other at Night Safari.

The CEO also suggested that the Zoo works with BC on survey/audits of their premises - Zoo, Jurong Bird Park and Night Safari to establish checklists for all 3 premises. They also suggested an educational exhibition for ButterflyCircle's members to display our work, and also introduce butterflies, their ecology, etc., to the Zoo's visitors.

I am proposing that we form 3 teams for the surveys, each with an experienced team leader and some newbies. Then we rotate the surveys and then with our cameras, document as many species as we can see in each of the 3 places to create a checklist for WRS.

I suggest that Sunny, Federick and I lead a team each, and then schedule the surveys such that there is at least 1 survey per month at each of the facilities, then we swap around. Alternatively, all 3 teams survey different parts of each facility (since the Zoo and Night Safari are fairly big sites).

Comments and volunteers, please lodge your interest here. :)

Team A :
Khew
Horace
Koh Cher Hern
Team B :
Sunny
Nelson
Team C :
Federick
Ben Jin
There can be more members per team, so please put in your names accordingly. Later on, we can swap around if the teams are not balanced. Horace will be in Team A to lead the cat search as well.

Wanderer
10-Jan-2011, 05:25 PM
Team A :
Khew
Horace
Koh Cher Hern
Team B :
Sunny
Nelson
Team C :
Federick
Ben Jin
Ke Yang

Bluebottle
10-Jan-2011, 10:05 PM
My weekend schedules for the next couple of weeks are a bit tight. But would join the survey whenever possible.

------------------

Team A :
Khew
Horace
Koh Cher Hern
Loke
Team B :
Sunny
Nelson
Team C :
Federick
Ben Jin
Ke Yang

WillFolsom
11-Jan-2011, 08:24 AM
All:

I would love to be a part of this important initiative. Those who take advantage of this opportunity will not only serve Singapore, but also supporters around the world who will learn what must be done to protect their own national treasures. Sorry I can't be there in person, but I certainly will be there in spirit. I find great satisfaction knowing that there are people in this world who are so dedicated! William

Peacock Royal
11-Jan-2011, 09:37 AM
I suppose we will be given free admissions to the three sites.:)

Commander
11-Jan-2011, 09:44 AM
I suppose we will be given free admissions to the three sites.:)

Definitely! :grin2:

Common Mime
11-Jan-2011, 10:05 AM
Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM

Rustic
11-Jan-2011, 10:41 AM
Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM
5. Tan CP (probably, available on Sunday)

Leopard Lacewing
12-Jan-2011, 09:55 AM
Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke
5. Bobby

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM

henrykoh
12-Jan-2011, 03:59 PM
Great work here man. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Plane
14-Jan-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Guys,

Just came back to Sin. Hope its not too late to join in. I will join Team B since there are only Sunny & Nelson. :)

Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke
5. Bobby

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson
3. Chng

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM

Banded Yeoman
23-Jan-2011, 07:31 PM
What team should I be on? Do the teams rotate locations?

Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke
5. Bobby

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson
3. Chng

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM

Banded Yeoman
23-Jan-2011, 07:34 PM
I guess I'll join team B.

Team A :

1. Khew
2. Horace
3. Koh Cher Hern
4. Loke
5. Bobby

Team B :

1. Sunny
2. Nelson
3. Chng
4. Jonathan

Team C :

1. Federick
2. Ben Jin
3. Ke Yang
4. Sum CM

anyway, what time will it be held? If morning, I can only come on Sun. However, there is no guarantee that I'll turn up as you never know how much homework I'll get, but I'll try my best to make it. ( at least for the first half of the year )

Wanderer
23-Jan-2011, 09:29 PM
hum..jonathan, i seriously think you should concentrate on your studies :)

Silverstreak
23-Jan-2011, 10:29 PM
KY,

No problem, I'm glad to have Jonathan on board. At least he has the " fire in the belly " !!!

He can come as and when he has the time , subject to mummy and daddy's approval.

Jonathan,

Welcome on board , remember this is just a hobby for you ....and only when you have the time to spare .

:)

vespa_bicolor
25-Jan-2011, 03:16 PM
I'd like to join too - would like to take the chance to check out this interesting locality, and while not as well-versed in butterflies, might be able to help if needed or to spot something.

Silverstreak
25-Jan-2011, 03:21 PM
John,

You are most welcome!

:cheers:

Banded Yeoman
26-Jan-2011, 02:18 PM
Okay, are u going to inform me when and where each trip will be by pm?

Silverstreak
26-Jan-2011, 03:59 PM
Once the survey schedule is finalised it will be made known all participants by khew.