PDA

View Full Version : The Common Sergeant

Glorious Begum
09-Jan-2011, 09:23 PM
It has been a while I didn't go out shooting. I went out today bringing my daughters to Hash run in Kuang. No a bad place for butt hunting, but I didn't have chance to shoot except for one which was taken before the race. Believe it or not, I was more than 30 mins behind my kids (youngest 5+ years old). :old: :old: :old: :sweat:

It is a common butt but I hardly see it here in Selangor / KL.

Athyma perius perius (The Common Sergeant.)

http://www.pbase.com/lcgoh/image/131696702/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lcgoh/image/131696698/original.jpg

:cheers:

horace2264
09-Jan-2011, 09:30 PM
Beautiful shots, LC. :)
The butt looks like it went through a tough time exiting the pupal case. Was the hindwing damaged during that time? :thinking:

Glorious Begum
09-Jan-2011, 09:47 PM
Beautiful shots, LC. :)
The butt looks like it went through a tough time exiting the pupal case. Was the hindwing damaged during that time? :thinking:

Thanks Horace. One side was damaged not sure due to what. :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
09-Jan-2011, 09:56 PM
Lovely photos, LC. This is the 'commonest' Athyma species here, but common is a subjective word.

You did a Hash run! Perrrrlease!!!!....... what a terrible waste of time, you go too fast and never see anything.:grin2: At the same time, I'm not surprised your daughters beat you.:grin2: Who came in first, Sherry or Michelle?

bluefin
09-Jan-2011, 10:58 PM
I went out today bringing my daughters to Hash run in Kuang. Believe it or not, I was more than 30 mins behind my kids (youngest 5+ years old). :old: :old: :old: :sweat:

Finally U r back in action.:cheers:
Training up for Maliau Basin ah, seems like U need to go for a few more session. :bsmile: :bsmile:

I like the second shot for the composition and the nice green natural BG. :)

Silverstreak
09-Jan-2011, 11:17 PM
LC,

Nice shot!!

The word common is a misnomer for most of the butterfly species .

I think 90 % those species with the word common infront can be deleted or change to Rare.

So you shot a Rare Sergeant :bsmile:

Common Mime
09-Jan-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for sharing, LC. Beautiful colour this fella has.

Glorious Begum
10-Jan-2011, 10:24 AM
Lovely photos, LC. This is the 'commonest' Athyma species here, but common is a subjective word.

You did a Hash run! Perrrrlease!!!!....... what a terrible waste of time, you go too fast and never see anything. At the same time, I'm not surprised your daughters beat you.:grin2: Who came in first, Sherry or Michelle?

Thanks Les. Training my daughters now. Sherry came 1st. They just want to finish the race and jump into the river for fun. :bsmile:

Finally U r back in action.:cheers:
Training up for Maliau Basin ah, seems like U need to go for a few more session.

I like the second shot for the composition and the nice green natural BG. :)

Thanks Nelson, weather is bad here, cloudy and raining.

LC,

Nice shot!!

The word common is a misnomer for most of the butterfly species .

I think 90 % those species with the word common infront can be deleted or change to Rare.

So you shot a Rare Sergeant :bsmile:

:bsmile: Not rare in Samui.

Thanks for sharing, LC. Beautiful colour this fella has.

Thanks CM. Have you seen it in Gopeng areas ?

Commander
10-Jan-2011, 10:36 AM
The colour of this species is always very attractive, and you've managed to capture that - particularly around the eyes and thorax area. :thumbsup:

Actually, this species can occasionally be shot in Singapore, depending on the "shipments". :) If you remember this blog article (http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/06/launch-of-butterfly-garden-at-hort-park.html), you can see that Bobby Mun has also shot this in Singapore! :bsmile:

Common Mime
10-Jan-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks CM. Have you seen it in Gopeng areas ?
Haha No! Not because it is rare but mainly because I am rarely go out to shoot. :bsmile: