PDA

View Full Version : Bits and bobs

Painted Jezebel
09-Jan-2011, 11:42 AM
As I have not posted anything for several months owing to injury and the weather, I thought I may as well show you these taken yesterday during a brief respite from the rain.

1) I thought my Cassia spectabilis was flowering a bit early, but it proved to be a mass eclosion of a Eurema species, taken from my bedroom window.

2) A Blue Admiral ( Kaniska canace perakana). According to C&P4, this is a montane species, but here on Samui, it is found at sea level. This is the peak time of the year for this species.

moloch
09-Jan-2011, 04:04 PM
Nice, Les. That first shot is amazing.

Psyche
09-Jan-2011, 08:03 PM
There was a similar phenomenon recorded at FRIM (Forest Research Institute Malaysia) recently where a young tree was almost denuded by a single species (if I remembered corrctly, E. blanda. However, I noticed you have two species there.

That Kaniska canace is a real beaut. and is the same race perakana as here. Is it also found at sea-level on the adjacent mainland ? If so, I wonder just whereabout does it starts to ascend the hills, and leave the lowlands, considering that it is usually found well over 2500 feet above sea-level in the Cameron Highlands.

Well, get well soon and :cheers:

TL Seow

atronox
09-Jan-2011, 09:19 PM
Wow, mass eclosions are an amazing sight!:grin2: I believe various Delias do it too

Painted Jezebel
09-Jan-2011, 09:24 PM
I get this mass eclosion every year. You state more than one species here, I am not sure I can agree with you on this. You are, I think, looking at the apical patches, but E. blanda is exceptionally variable.

With regards to K. canace, I have not come across this yet on the mainland, and, to be honest, I can not understand why it is found here at sea level, but it is, and there you are, a bit of a strange one here, but then, that is Koh Samui, everything is strange here!!!!!:grin2:

There was a similar phenomenon recorded at FRIM (Forest Research Institute Malaysia) recently where a young tree was almost denuded by a single species (if I remembered corrctly, E. blanda. However, I noticed you have two species there.

That Kaniska canace is a real beaut. and is the same race perakana as here. Is it also found at sea-level on the adjacent mainland ? If so, I wonder just whereabout does it starts to ascend the hills, and leave the lowlands, considering that it is usually found well over 2500 feet above sea-level in the Cameron Highlands.

Well, get well soon and :cheers:

TL Seow