PDA

View Full Version : Skipper ID please...

Blue Nawab
08-Jan-2011, 10:38 PM
Really not good at identifying skipper...expert please help...
My guess is Full Stop Swift (Caltoris cormasa)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5335231201_330f9bb796_b_d.jpg

Psyche
10-Jan-2011, 09:45 AM
With the spined legs, Caltoris is no longer in contention.
I assumed this is a largish skipper, and so it should be Baoris oceia or B. farri.
The forewing spotting is of little help.The lighter colour and sheen suggest this is B. farri.

I have not seen enough definitive examples of both to be able to tell them apart with confidence.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
10-Jan-2011, 09:52 AM
I also find that the Caltoris are also 'chubbier' in appearance, with shorter and rounder wings. This one seem to have more elongated forewings with a sharper apex. Although I don't think this observation is a reliable diagnostic feature to separate these brown skippers.

Common Mime
11-Jan-2011, 12:05 PM
Once again, thank you very much on the detailed explanation, Dr Seow. I learnt a lot about skippers recently! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is below criteria the key to differentiate a Caltoris and a Baoris?

With the spined legs, Caltoris is no longer in contension.

While I am looking at our checklist, I found out that only Bobby's photo of Caltoris cormasa seems to have no spined legs...

Psyche
11-Jan-2011, 08:38 PM
Once again, thank you very much on the detailed explanation, Dr Seow. I learnt a lot about skippers recently! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is below criteria the key to differentiate a Caltoris and a Baoris?

While I am looking at our checklist, I found out that only Bobby's photo of Caltoris cormasa seems to have no spined legs...

Do drop the dr tag. Please do not compare me with Dr. Kirton. In answer to your question, yes , only Baoris & Pelopidas in the Pelopidas Group of Genera ( called the Swifts ) have spined legs. I have only recently discovered this by sifting through the key for the genera.

Common Mime
11-Jan-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification and sharing what you discovered recently. Now, I need to check on my old records. :)

Thanks, Seow.:thumbsup:

Commander
19-Jan-2011, 09:54 AM

Please drop this assumption, as Seow has pointed out that this is not necessarily a reliable criteria for field shots. Also, in weathered specimens, I've also noticed that the fine spines can also be damaged or cut off due to wear and tear.

Psyche
21-Jan-2011, 11:19 AM
Please drop this assumption, as Seow has pointed out that this is not necessarily a reliable criteria for field shots. Also, in weathered specimens, I've also noticed that the fine spines can also be damaged or cut off due to wear and tear.

Khew is right of course. As I have stated on another thread, the statement that only Baoris & Pelopidas have spined legs is no longer valid or correct.

:cheers:
TL Seow:embrass:

Common Mime
21-Jan-2011, 02:47 PM
Noted with thanks, Mr Khew.

Blue Nawab
27-Jan-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Dr Seow, Khew and Chee Ming for the suggestions and tips about skipper identification. Here's another shot of the skipper, should be Baoris sp., most possibly Baoris farri farri...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5172/5392355951_85c213b457_b_d.jpg

kaleshs2002in
20-Jul-2011, 04:53 PM
The image to me seems to be a species of Caltoris.
They are difficult to id without Upperside images or as the last resort genitalia dissections!
cheers!

Psyche
20-Jul-2011, 05:23 PM
The image to me seems to be a species of Caltoris.
They are difficult to id without Upperside images or as the last resort genitalia dissections!
cheers!

I agreed they are both Caltoris.

I can now say with confidence the first one with its rusty red colouration and black-tipped brown antennae is C. cormasa.

The 2nd with the ochreous brown colour and an upper cell spot noticeable (meaning it will have 2 cell-spots, i.e. a colon) looks like C. bromus.

kaleshs2002in
20-Jul-2011, 05:25 PM
Kool!

I agreed they are both Caltoris.

I can now say with confidence the first one with its rusty red colouration and black-tipped brown antennae is C. cormasa.

The 2nd with the ochreous brown colour and an upper cell spot noticeable (meaning it will have 2 cell-spots, i.e. a colon) looks like C. bromus.