PDA

View Full Version : 2 to ID

bluefin
23-Dec-2010, 03:07 AM
These were taken sometime back, would like to seek some assistance in IDing them. Is the first one a Color Sergeant.:thinking:

B1
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5282977485_746aec56ea_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46633426@N04/5282977485/)

B2
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5284/5283577952_a968d22c68_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46633426@N04/5283577952/)

Archduke
23-Dec-2010, 09:02 AM
i think, if my butt ID skills are still working. the 1st one is a female color sarge that is in the orange form.

bluefin
23-Dec-2010, 11:08 AM
i think, if my butt ID skills are still working. the 1st one is a female color sarge that is in the orange form.

Thanks Mark, for assisting. :cheers:

Psyche
24-Dec-2010, 12:58 AM
The second butterfly is Jamides celeno aelianus.
Keys 1, 7, 8, 9. In Singapore, there only two, celeno and pura to consider. The white striae are well-aligned in pura and out of alignment in celeno. In Malaysia it is much more difficult with a third similar species J. zebra.

TL Seow:cheers:

bluefin
24-Dec-2010, 12:44 PM
The second butterfly is Jamides celeno aelianus.
Keys 1, 7, 8, 9. In Singapore, there only two, celeno and pura to consider. The white striae are well-aligned in pura and out of alignment in celeno. In Malaysia it is much more difficult with a third similar species J. zebra.

Thanks again for the detailed explaination. :cheers:

bluefin
25-Dec-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Seow, here's one more that we have problem confirming the ID the last time round. Appreciate your invaluable opinion on the ID of tis one. :cheers:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5289247356_3ced6b7bc9_b.jpg

Silverstreak
25-Dec-2010, 01:18 PM
Nelson ,

Is this the same one Ellen shot on the west ??

Seow,

We had an amateurish discourse here on this Jamide at this thread (http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9521&highlight=Jamides&page=3)

Cheers!

Psyche
25-Dec-2010, 02:47 PM
Jamides key 20
I used to get terribly confused here. Looking at the postdiscal band & ignoring the uppermost little spot(space9) the three big spots top down are 6, 5, & 4, and below vein 4, the whole of spot 3 is completely dislocated inwards. The following keys are 21, 22, 26, 28, 30.
From here only 3 species need to be considered, J. elpis, J. alecto, & J. abdul . Visually elpis & alecto are eliminated, leaving J. abdul. Problem is no underside pic to compare.

Luckily Ellen's shot showing part of the upperside, pretty well confirmed the ID.

bluefin
25-Dec-2010, 07:15 PM
Nelson ,

Is this the same one Ellen shot on the west ??

Cheers!

Yep, this was shot around the same vicinity. :)

Jamides key 20
I used to get terribly confused here. Looking at the postdiscal band & ignoring the uppermost little spot(space9) the three big spots top down are 6, 5, & 4, and below vein 4, the whole of spot 3 is completely dislocated inwards. The following keys are 21, 22, 26, 28, 30.
From here only 3 species need to be considered, J. elpis, J. alecto, & J. abdul . Visually elpis & alecto are eliminated, leaving J. abdul. Problem is no underside pic to compare.

Luckily Ellen's shot showing part of the upperside, pretty well confirmed the ID.

Thanks Seow, for confirming the ID and solving the mystery. :cheers:
:thinking: Could this be another new addition.

horace2264
26-Dec-2010, 06:13 PM
Jamides key 20
Visually elpis & alecto are eliminated, leaving J. abdul. Problem is no underside pic to compare.

The book "Butterflies of Borneo", Vol. 2, No. 1, has rather good plates of a number of Jamides spp. Here are two scans of J. abdul for your reference. :)

Psyche
26-Dec-2010, 06:59 PM
Thank you Horace, I rechecked the keys, and realised I made an error. J. abdul has already been eliminated at key 22. The three species to consider are J. elpis, J. alecto, & J. limes. Since it cannot be elpis or alecto the only one left is J. limes a Bornean species. Do you have a pic of J. limes

TL Seow

horace2264
26-Dec-2010, 09:03 PM
Thank you Horace, I rechecked the keys, and realised I made an error. J. abdul has already been eliminated at key 22. The three species to consider are J. elpis, J. alecto, & J. limes. Since it cannot be elpis or alecto the only one left is J. limes a Bornean species. Do you have a pic of J. limes

TL Seow

Here are the scans for J. limes from the same book. :)

Psyche
26-Dec-2010, 11:00 PM
This gets very interesting. I have rechecked the keys many times to make sure it is right.

Key 20; postdiscal band is dislocated at vein 4,& spot 3 shifted in.
Key 21; eliminating J. lucide.
Key 22; postdiscal band dislocated at vein 6, eliminating J. abdul.

Key 23 or 26
23 ; more or less a continous pair of sub-basal white lines.
26 ; hindwng sub-basal striaes dislocated.

Herein lies all the problems. Individual variations mean some example of J. virgulatus may have the striae out of aligment.
Key 23 & 26 should be modified.

The situation is similar to some examples of N. sanaya being easily mis-identified as N. subperusia.

CP4's keys covers, I think all the Neomalayan spp from Sumatra across to Borneo.

This is probably just J. virgulatus based on the large tornal orange area.

Correction
After further checking and mulling over the matter, I need to retract all the statements I made above. This is because there are examples of J. virgulatus in which the orange is reduced to one spot. Furthermore, the extent & wide of the orange is not used to identify any one species. It means that some individual of any species just may have large amount of orange.

So, the original analysis stands : with J. abdul already eliminated at key 22, it boiled down to only eitherJ. elpis or J. alecto. I am inclined to believed this is J. elpis. This is because all examples of alecto I have seen have rather broad striae compared to elpis, and also the marginal spot in space 3 is slightly flattened in alecto and rounded in elpis.

TL Seow