View Full Version : A quick trip to florida

WillFolsom
07-Dec-2010, 05:47 AM
I recently visited my mother in Florida for a holiday get-together ("Thanksgiving Day"). It was a short visit, but I got up early and headed out to "Corkscrew Swamp" not too far from Naples, Florida (lower part of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico). I flew down to Florida with only one lens (a Nikon 70-300mm) expecting to spend any free time photographing birds. There were lots of white ibis and songbirds about, so I spend a fun 2 hours wandering around the swamps (they have a boardwalk that runs the length of the swamp). At the end, as I was heading to my car, I spotted several butterflies just off the parking area. The 70-300mm is not my choice for photographing butterflies, but I didn't have any alternatives. The results surprised me. I got an interesting shot of what I believe is a Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) in flight. Still, very blurred, but a good pose. I thnk photographed what I believe is an Orange-barred Sulphur (Phoebis philea) feeding. Both species were moving from plant to plant fairly quickly and the 70-300mm actually allowed me to stay back a bit and try my luck. The lens is slightly slow to focus, so I had a lot of missed shots. But the few that I did get were sharp. I'm attaching two samples from that morning. Capturing the Orange-barred sulphur was especially nice, since it was a first for me. I would have posted these images earlier, but wanted to be positive about the identifications and all my contacts simply couldn't verify the Giant swallowtail... which is my best guess.

WillFolsom
07-Dec-2010, 05:52 AM
The image was too large and didn't load. Here it is, slightly smaller. I have grown somewhat used to NOT seeing butterflies in the really wild area, only to find them next to the parking lot. You guys seem to find them mostly deep in the wild areas. William

Bluebottle
07-Dec-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for sharing, Bill. It must be a good quick fix for you during the cold winter season. Over here we are complaining of low butterfly activities due to monsoon season but at least we still get go out and shoot :)

atronox
07-Dec-2010, 04:30 PM
Did u get to visit the swamps? Florida shld be warmer than most other states.

WillFolsom
24-Dec-2010, 09:43 AM
Aaron: Yes, I visited a swamp known as "CORKSCREW SWAMP" which is near the western edge of the Everglades in Florida, just a bit to the east of Naples, Florida. They have a wooden boardwalk that extends throughout their swamp and the surrounding areas are usually filled with water. There are lots of alligators in the swamp when waters are high and fish plentiful. Not many alligators when I visited the last time. William