PDA

View Full Version : KL - Chasing the snow white

Glorious Begum
13-Nov-2010, 05:18 PM
Thought I can meet Begum. Walked all the way up to the top and waited for 1 hour. Damn, no sigh of it at all. On the way down, I found this little white fella and started to chase after it. Very hard to get a good shot, it always stay under the leaf. :sweat:

Neomyrina nivea periculosa (The White Imperial) :redbounce

http://www.pbase.com/lcgoh/image/130285561/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lcgoh/image/130285562/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lcgoh/image/130285563/original.jpg

Blue Nawab
13-Nov-2010, 05:23 PM
Wow, pretty snow white...great catch LC! :cheers:

moloch
13-Nov-2010, 05:26 PM
Very nice, LC. Too bad about the Begum but the imperial was a very nice find. Is this one scarce? I don't recall any recent photos of it.

Glorious Begum
13-Nov-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, pretty snow white...great catch LC! :cheers:

Thanks Cher Hern

Very nice, LC. Too bad about the Begum but the imperial was a very nice find. Is this one scarce? I don't recall any recent photos of it.

David, it is rare and it seldom come down to ground level. I was lucky today. :cheers:

Cruiser
13-Nov-2010, 05:52 PM
Excellent shot, LC :thumbsup:

Painted Jezebel
13-Nov-2010, 05:54 PM
Congrats on a great find, LC. That place is a hotbed for rarities, just so tiring to get to!!!! Is this a +1 for you?

Glorious Begum
13-Nov-2010, 05:58 PM
Excellent shot, LC :thumbsup:

Thanks Ben Jin

Congrats on a great find, LC. That place is a hotbed for rarities, just so tiring to get to!!!! Is this a +1 for you?

Do agreed, both of my legs are sore now. Said to myself never go up there anymore but some how I went up there again. Hope not anymore.

It is not my +1, I shot it in Belum before but today shots are slightly better. :cheers:

Commander
13-Nov-2010, 06:14 PM
Congrats, LC. :cheers:

Yes, a rarity indeed. It's even more so for you, since this is a pristine specimen. All the times I encountered this fella in the past, the tails are not as pristine, or the markings as clear and sharp.

For those who may not be aware, this is a large Lycaenid - females can be about the size of a Striped Albatross! When it flies fast, it has the appearance of one of the Albatrosses as its tail is not obvious.

Peacock Royal
13-Nov-2010, 06:44 PM
Congrats LC
Excellent shots on this pretty white flying gem.
Bring me up there one day.

Glorious Begum
13-Nov-2010, 09:04 PM
Congrats, LC. :cheers:

Yes, a rarity indeed. It's even more so for you, since this is a pristine specimen. All the times I encountered this fella in the past, the tails are not as pristine, or the markings as clear and sharp.

For those who may not be aware, this is a large Lycaenid - females can be about the size of a Striped Albatross! When it flies fast, it has the appearance of one of the Albatrosses as its tail is not obvious.

Thanks Khew

Congrats LC
Excellent shots on this pretty white flying gem.
Bring me up there one day.

Oh no.. it is a very tiring trip. :bsmile:

bluefin
13-Nov-2010, 09:32 PM
Congrats LC, great shots. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A real white beauty. :)

Glorious Begum
14-Nov-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Nelson. :cheers:

Congrats LC, great shots. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A real white beauty. :)

atronox
14-Nov-2010, 03:23 PM
Congrats!
I've heard that there are many more in montane habitats.:)

Silverstreak
14-Nov-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh WOW ! A very rare record !:cheers:

First time seeing a shot of this species !

Glorious Begum
14-Nov-2010, 08:11 PM
Congrats!
I've heard that there are many more in montane habitats.:)

Not as stated in C&P4. It is found below 3,000 feet, and is a high flyer and not easily captured. You may see it but very hard to get it down to eye level. Thanks. :cheers:

Oh WOW ! A very rare record !:cheers:

First time seeing a shot of this species !

Yup, a rare one. Saw it around 5 or 6 times over here over a period of 3+ years and hardly come down except yesterday. :bsmile:

scenar
15-Nov-2010, 01:32 AM
oh wow, this is truly beautiful!! :D great stuff...

WillFolsom
15-Nov-2010, 09:38 AM
Well done. I believe it was well worth that hour spent waiting. Long walk? or just difficult terrain? William

jamesf
15-Nov-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow, a rare find. Good shot with a lot of details. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
James