PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar ID Needed

lamagier77
09-Nov-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi... saw this caterpillar (see attached photo) in Sungei Buloh a while back. It's rather large at 8cm long... couldn't match it to any caterpillar shots in the checklist. Please help ID. Thanks.

Regards,
Swee Cheong

Commander
09-Nov-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Swee Cheong,

Firstly, a warm welcome to ButterflyCircle. :cheers:

What you've shot there is a caterpillar of a Hawk Moth, probably of the Sphingidae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphingidae) family. One of the characteristics would be that little doggie tail that it possesses. As to what species it is, I can't help you. Perhaps some others here may be able to assist.

It's definitely not a butterfly cat.

lamagier77
10-Nov-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi... Thanks for the welcome... I find this website an excellent forum for discussion on local butterflies... glad I could join as a member...

I have another caterpillar photo (see attached) taken at BTNR at the boardwalk linking to Hindhede Park. It's a rather small critter. Not sure what it is.

Regards,
Swee Cheong

Commander
10-Nov-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi... Thanks for the welcome... I find this website an excellent forum for discussion on local butterflies... glad I could join as a member...

I have another caterpillar photo (see attached) taken at BTNR at the boardwalk linking to Hindhede Park. It's a rather small critter. Not sure what it is.

Regards,
Swee Cheong

Most welcome, Swee Cheong. We are all still learning as well. Glad to have you on board with us. You work for Chevron? Cool company!

This caterpillar is also another moth caterpillar. Watch out for those urticaceous hairs though. They can give you a bad rash if you brush against them. :sweat: