View Full Version : White dragontails at Fung Yuen, Hong Kong

vespa_bicolor
30-Oct-2010, 02:06 PM
The guys at Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve said that the best time to shoot the white dragontail (Lamproptera curius) is around October to November. Indeed, Fung Yuen is one of the best places to see this unusual, skittish butterfly in Hong Kong and you wouldn't be surprised to see it there any time, but whether it comes down low enough and hovers long enough to focus and shoot is another thing. I have visited Fung Yuen around this time in previous years, but have never seen anything like what I saw yesterday (29/10/2010).

The whole reserve was literally swarming with them! Every patch of flowers known to attract them had at least 3 or 4, all hovering around and stopping long enough for anyone with enough patience to get brilliant shots of them! Here is a video I took - sorry for the poor quality, it isn't easy taking a video of constantly moving insects with my old compact camera! There were at least 5 or 6 on this particular patch of flowers alone, although I didn't manage to video all of them together.

Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VGC243CMjI)

If you look closely, from 0:05 to 0:14, there is a single individual of the common bicolored hornet (Vespa bicolor) flying around. It was attempting to catch the dragontails, although this was not obvious in the video. This hornet appeared from 11am and by the time I left at 4pm, was still trying hard, apparently without success. This hard work without payoff must have knocked 2 weeks off her lifespan!

And one poor record shot, but better than my older ones. The one time I get a nice composition, my flash had to choose that moment to die on me - a relatively low shutter speed under sunlight blew out the white parts a little. It is a miracle that the wings aren't too blurred out given the shutter speed which was not that high!

Silverstreak
30-Oct-2010, 02:20 PM
Nicely caught John!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The upper reaches of Fong Yuen is covered with its hostplant Illigera celebica so I guess Oct and Nov is most conducive for the species.

Looking at the video one would realised that this little guy flutter non-stop at hight speed like a dragonfly .

Unless with shutter speed above 1/500s or the use of the flash as the shutter, the only time that give a photog a fighting chance of a good shot is while it is puddling or sunbathing.:bsmile:

In Gua Tempurung, Perak , it was observed that they often sunbath with wings wide open , on vegetation around the puddling ground.

By any chance were the Purple Sapphire around at this period?

vespa_bicolor
30-Oct-2010, 02:33 PM
That's why I feel it is a miracle my one shot didn't turn out any worse, since my shutter speed was only 1/125s or 1/180s at most! :bsmile:

Oh... forgot to look out for the purple sapphire! There might have been one or two around, but the vast number of white dragontails, coupled with an extraordinarily good harvest of wasp species, took my mind away from anything else!

Great Mormon
30-Oct-2010, 03:02 PM
wow, so many dragontails, and they were tamed enough for you to go so close to them too.

Now you are enticing plenty of people to visit Feng Yuan during the end year holiday period :P

vespa_bicolor
30-Oct-2010, 03:21 PM
Haha... not sure if they will be around at the end of the year though. The period from October to early November is supposedly the best, both in terms of number of individuals around and also that they frequently come low and close enough to approach.

The first shot I ever got of this species was in December, but by then there are usually far fewer of them.