View Full Version : THE AMERICAN LADY (Vanessa virginiensis)

WillFolsom
12-Aug-2010, 11:01 AM
Colleagues:

Today the temperature was hot (above 95 F/35 Celsius) and humid. I managed to stay out in the sun for about an hour, slowly walking around several bushes bustling with activities. I found an old friend, the gray hairstreak (I'll discuss them in a later posting) when an American Lady fluttered in and stayed for about 20 minutes posing exclusively for me (nobody else was out in that heat!).

The American Lady is found throughout the southern half of the United States, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. These butterflies fly south where it is warmer in the winters, which can get quite harsh here. It can be identified by the two large eyespots on the hindwing. It tends to keep it's wings together when feeding, but sometimes opens them briefly. I've included one shot (for demonstration only as the quality is poor) showing what the open wing looks like.

I'm not sure what conditions are in Singapore, but if you do your photography when the temperatures soar over 35C and the humidity is high, you have added to my respect for your great work.

I used my Nikon D700 with a 105mm flash and the Nikon ringflash system set to TTL, but not a minus EV setting (if anyone knows how to set that in the Command Mode, let me know). It was very bright out so I also experimented by using available light only. The plus was that I could move in closer without scaring the subject. The negative was that shadows became an issue because of the bright sun vs dark shade. The ringflash helped with the shadows.

I hope the membership still finds these posts of non-Singapore species interesting.

Peacock Royal
12-Aug-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the introduction.
A nice shot of a beauty feeding on the flowers.

Archduke
12-Aug-2010, 11:31 AM
its always a pleasure to see butts from the other side of the world!

the climate in singapore is hot and humid. when i'm out in the field i usually get drenched in sweat lol.

WillFolsom
12-Aug-2010, 11:32 AM
Frederick Ho:

Thank you for your comment. It is indeed a pleasure to share a common interest even though we are separated by a continent and a very large ocean. Still we are united in our enjoyment of butterflies and photography.

I wonder if you would know of average hotel room prices in Singapore. I've been doing a lot of research and recently discovered that a room at one of the Hilton hotels in Singapore costs a little over S$400. That's pretty expensive for one night.

William

WillFolsom
12-Aug-2010, 11:34 AM
Mark:

Thanks for the tip. As I get older, it is harder and harder to deal with the extremes in weather and temperature. Thanks.

Peacock Royal
12-Aug-2010, 11:38 AM
You may want to google "Hotel 81" - the price I guess ranges from $120 - $200. There are lots of other cheaper hotels for backpackers near the town area. I think Les has stayed at YMCA before if I am not wrong - you may want to PM him.

Painted Jezebel
12-Aug-2010, 12:16 PM
Colleagues:

The American Lady is found throughout the southern half of the United States, from the Atlantic to the Pacific .

I have a specimen, collected many years ago (1971) by a friend who emigrated to Canada, from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

butterfly_effect
12-Aug-2010, 02:05 PM
I really like that name ...Vanessa virginiensis... LOL... beautiful photos of a pretty butterfly :)

bluefin
12-Aug-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi William, a beautiful shot of a beautiful butterfly.:)

Have you tried using the TC2.0 III for the 105, it will give you the added reach. I have been using D700, 105, TC2.0 III and SB900 and has been getting rather good images. :grin2:

Archduke
13-Aug-2010, 01:21 AM
s400 a night is overkill!
200 dollars a night can get you a very decent place with great accomodations.

WillFolsom
15-Aug-2010, 08:18 AM
All:

Really great advice. I'm truly sorry we don't have a group of gifted, experienced, and friendly butterfly photographers here in Virginia -- so
it is truly great to exchange information with you! I appreciate it.

I will try your recommendation to use the Nikon TC-17EII 1.7 and the TC-20EII 2x teleconverters tomorrow. Typically I use extenders and the TC's for my telephoto lenses. Here is a unique new view that was sitting in my camera bag all along... and I've beent taking photographs for over 30 years. This is what i like about some groups on the internet. Instant exchange of thoughts and information across the globe. What a great resource.

I will do my best to continue to hold up my end.

Thank you for the information on hotel rates. My wife and I are both approaching 70 years and my wife is handicapped, so having a good hotel to stay in is important. The prices you quoted are reasonable.

Can anyone comment about those pants with the "tick-guard" (that's what it is used for here). I have a pair, but they are used for cold weather. I need to check around to see if we can buy them here in the USA. Otherwise, looks like my first stop will be a clothing store.

Again, thank all of you for your replies. Very helpful in planning something.

William

WillFolsom
18-Aug-2010, 05:45 AM
Nelson:

I took your advice and worked with my TC-20EII (your unit is the newest on the market) and included a 6T close-up lens on my 105mm with an SB-800 on my D700. Results were positive, but depth-of-field (dof) was pretty tight. I've included a sample or two from a short outing in my backyard. Nothing fancy: a female Sachem and a male Zabulon skipper... and then a ruler (alas, we have not gone metric, so this is in inches). As noted, a pretty tight image.

Question for you: Is your TC III better than your TC II? I usually use the 1.7 and find that it meets most of my needs. This is the first time I've used the 2X for macro work and so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

bluefin
18-Aug-2010, 12:56 PM
Hi William,

The TC III is better than TC II as it has an aspherical lens element. As I do not own the TC II, I am nt able to make a comparison. But based on review by various sources, it seems to produce sharper pic as compared to the older version.

I do not use close up lens on the 105, that could be the reason for the tight DOF. The 105 n TC2.0 combination will only produce nice BG if u r very near to your subject.

The Tamron T180 is still the choice lens here for smooth and creamy BG as many here can attest to. I do have the T180 but it has since been resting in the dry cabinet. :bsmile: I need the added reach after I have changed to FX from DX and the VR feature of the 105 is also an added advantage. This combination has consistently being able to produce excellent images.:)

WillFolsom
18-Aug-2010, 06:15 PM
Nelson: I appreciate your feedback. I will head back out early next week (we are getting hit with some heavy rains for the next few days) and give it a test again. Might start with the ruler. William

Bluebottle
18-Aug-2010, 11:00 PM
All:

I will do my best to continue to hold up my end.

Thank you for the information on hotel rates. My wife and I are both approaching 70 years and my wife is handicapped, so having a good hotel to stay in is important. The prices you quoted are reasonable.

Can anyone comment about those pants with the "tick-guard" (that's what it is used for here).

Hats off to your enthusiasm and unwavering interest in pursuing butterfly photography despite your age :cheers:

The "tick-guard" you refer to may be the leech socks which some of the members wore during outings in Malaysia.
http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14846&stc=1&d=1281682871

WillFolsom
18-Aug-2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you. Well, we all have our specific issues. Looks like I might have to invest in a leech guard. Thank you for following up. William

WillFolsom
19-Aug-2010, 05:38 AM
Nelson:

I followed your advice (I did not use the 6T), but did use my older doubler and the results were quite good indeed. I was able to capture something that flew in fairly close (the swallowtail) without moving. I then caught a quick shot of a skipper and then moved in fairly close where dof started. I think it adds both versatility and improved dof and the ability to work a bit further back. Very good advice. I also used Khew's advice on the flash and camera settings. A good test. Thanks to all.

William