PDA

View Full Version : Taxonomic nomenclature

Commander
20-Jul-2010, 09:34 AM
In the taxonomic classification system after Linnaeus, reference is often made to the binomial or trinomial system of naming where the identification of an organism is given a name in the convention <genus> <species> <subspecies>.

My question is, what is the correct spelling for binomial/trinomial? Whilst these are common terms used in mathematics, they appear to be also used in biology.

However, if you look at C&P4 carefully, the spelling used in the book are binominal and trinominal respectively.

Which is correct? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Binomial or binominal?
Trinomial or trinominal?

:hmmm:

Commander
20-Jul-2010, 09:44 AM
A bit of googling turned up this from Wiki :

The formal system of naming species is called binomial nomenclature (especially in botany, but also used by zoologists), binominal nomenclature (since 1953, the technically correct form in zoology), or binary nomenclature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_nomenclature

:thinking:

teotp
27-Jul-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Khew,

I have some information from the following books:

1. Insects - The Practical Guide to Entomology (ed. by Rick Imes, 1992): binomial & trinomial.
2. The Science of Entomology (ed. by Romoser, W.S. & J. G. Stoffolano, 1998) : binomial & trinomial.
3. Life- An Introduction to Biology (ed. by Beck, W.S., K. F. Liem & J. J. Simpson, 1991): binomial & trinomial.
4. Butterflies of Australia vol. 1 (ed. by Michael F. Brady, 2000): binominal & trinominal.

The authors of books 1, 2 and 3 were Americans, and from what I think the British uses binominal and trinominal (include Corbet & Pendlebury) and the American uses binomial and trinomial (similarly: colour/color; odour.odor; centre/center; behaviour/ behavior).
I will find out more when I visit the NUS science library.

Teo T P

Commander
27-Jul-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your research and reply, Teo.

From my searches, both are valid words. However, binominal is used in zoology, whilst binomial is used for botany. Hence for butterflies, C&P4 and Braby are correct, as lepidoptera would fall under zoology rather than botany.

By common usage, the two terms are used so interchangeably in science that most people may not have discerned the different terms. The terms are derived from the root words binomen and trinomen which are used for animals. The nomenclature convention for animals should then be binominal and trinominal.

Of course, binomial and trinomial are also used in the context of mathematical equations.