View Full Version : Butterflies

Yan
16-Jun-2010, 02:22 PM
Good Day Everyone...

I just want to ask, whats the common name of these butterflies "Papilio Rumanzubia" and "Antropanuera Kotzeboea" and how old are they?

Thanks...

Commander
16-Jun-2010, 02:34 PM
Welcome to ButterflyCircle, Yan. I see that you're from the Philippines.

Firstly the two species that you've mentioned do not occur here in Singapore, but yes, these are species that you will see in Philippines, Indonesia.

The names you mentioned are incorrectly spelt. I believe you meant :

Papilio rumanzovia - this species is called the Scarlet Mormon
Atrophaneura kotzebuea - this species is often referred to as the Pink Rose

A note of caution about using common names though. Different countries may call the same species by different common names. So common names may not be very reliable when looking for a particular species (or sub-species). If you are specifically looking for those above, using the scientific name may be the best.

:cheers:

Yan
16-Jun-2010, 02:49 PM
Welcome to ButterflyCircle, Yan. I see that you're from the Philippines.

Firstly the two species that you've mentioned do not occur here in Singapore, but yes, these are species that you will see in Philippines, Indonesia.

The names you mentioned are incorrectly spelt. I believe you meant :

Papilio rumanzovia - this species is called the Scarlet Mormon
Atrophaneura kotzebuea - this species is often referred to as the Pink Rose

A note of caution about using common names though. Different countries may call the same species by different common names. So common names may not be very reliable when looking for a particular species (or sub-species). If you are specifically looking for those above, using the scientific name may be the best.

:cheers:

Ohhh ok... Thanks for the info... :)

teotp
17-Jun-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi Yan,

Welcome to Butterflycircle!

The synonym of Atrophaneura kotzebuea is Pachliopta kotzebuea. Some of the books used P. kotzebuea. Why you are so concern about this two species?

Teo T P

atronox
17-Jun-2010, 02:05 AM
Isn't kotzebuea a ssp of aristolochiae?

teotp
19-Jun-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi Aaron,

In Butterflies of The Oriental Region - Part I by Bernard D' Abrera : Papilio aristolochiae kotzebuea (Eschscholtz).
In Butterflies of the South East Asian Islands - Vol. I by Etsuzo Tsukada et al: Pachliopta kotzebuea kotzebuea (Eschscholtz).

Can you tell me which one correct?

Teo T P

atronox
19-Jun-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Aaron,

In Butterflies of The Oriental Region - Part I by Bernard D' Abrera : Papilio aristolochiae kotzebuea (Eschscholtz).
In Butterflies of the South East Asian Islands - Vol. I by Etsuzo Tsukada et al: Pachliopta kotzebuea kotzebuea (Eschscholtz).

Can you tell me which one correct?

Teo T P
Yes, i got my info from D'abrera but he didn't specify why he chose to keep it as ssp.
I have not heard of the second one, but fr what i've heard of, it's a ssp of aristolochiae.

teotp
19-Jun-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Aaron,

Sorry, my mistake of typing error. It should be Pachliopta (and not Papilio) aristolochiae kotzebuea from Butterflies of The Oriental Region Part I. Both books published in 1982.

Any one have a copy of "Butterflies of Philippines"? May be someone nominated the designation of this species from genus Pachliopta to Atropheneura and remain it's species as kotzebuea (As Yan's original tread stated A. kotzebuea). Have to screen publications from Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. If you have any new information please let me know.

Teo T P

teotp
19-Jun-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi Aaron,

Tsukada described very detail in his book "Butterflies of The South East Asian Islands Vol. I" how to separate the Philippine species of Pachliopta (with keys, diagrams of wing patterns and male genitalia, distribution map, text and photos). There are eight species under this genus: atropos, aristolochiae, kotzebuea, schadenbergi, phegeus, leytensis, phlegon and mariae, and five subspecies of P. kotzebuea (kotzebuea, philippus, antiphulus, poseidippus and asina) described.

Teo T P

teotp
20-Jun-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Aaron,

Here are some information again.
In Tsukada's book and under the title Pachliopta kotzebuea, he wrote:
"This is a member of the Aristolochiae group. It subsitutes for aristolochiae outside the range of the latter; in fact, it had been considered a subspecies of aristolochiae before Hiura and Alagar (1969) and others separated it from aristolochiae by the reason of the morphological difference in the foreleg."

I have to find out more for it's latest status. Plesase keep me inform if you have any news.

Teo T P

teotp
24-Jun-2010, 01:37 AM
Hi Aaron,

From the "Checklist of The Butterflies of The Philippine Islands" by C.G. Treadaway, 1995 classified list, Pachliopta kotzebuea has the following subspecies:
kotzebuea - Central & western Luzon.
bilara - Bohol, Cebu.
deseileus - Marinduque, Masbate, Mindanao, Negros, Panay, Ticao.
mataconga - South Luzon.
philippus - Dinagat Homohan, Leyte, Mindanao, Panaon, Samar, Sarangani.
tindongana - Babuyanes, north Luzon.
poseidippus - Basilan (D'A).

Teo T P