Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    When Aaron ID'ed the Jamides tentatively as J. aratus, I did not realised there is another almost identical species.
    Alan Cassidy an entomologist with Project Wallace to Sulawesi had posted images of both species.
    J. fractilinea.
    http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...eaMUpUnAC1.jpg

J. aratus lunata.
    http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...aMFUpUnAC1.jpg

TL Seow
    After viewing the links, i realise that this live specimen looks almost identical to the pinned female of aratus (i'm assuming that the live specimen is female based on the shape of the forewing and the very slight peek at the upperside of the forewing) in that:

- the two outermost postdiscal striae in spaces 6 and 7 of the hindwing are slightly misaligned in the live specimen and the pinned female aratus (connected in fractilinea)

- the two postdiscal striae in the same space as the orange tornal spot are perfectly aligned with those in the spaces above and below in the live specimen and the pinned female aratus (dislocated in fractilinea)

Seems like it's closer to a female aratus.

Of course my assumption that the live specimen is female might well be wrong in the first place and in any case the only fractilinea i'm comparing with is male. Also the configuration of the striae in male and female aratus is totally different (?!?!)
    Aaron Soh

Some more, but I am getting towards the end of this part of the trip.

1&2) The only Riodinid we came across, Abisara kausambi sabina - CORRECTION - Abisara echerius bugiana
    3) Hypolycaena sipylus giscon - I have tried to reduce the pinkish wash caused by reflection of the flash from the plant it was sitting on. This is as far as I could get without completely ruining the butt!
    4) This may be an Antheme sp. Note the 3 pairs of small tails on the hindwing. - UPDATE- Anthene lycaenina ssp.
    5) No idea! - UPDATE- Catopryops ancyra subfestivus
    5) Also help needed. (Found in my Zizina otis file, but the hindwing submarginal markings are different. - UPDATE - Udara dilecta thoria
    7) A Jamides sp. - UPDATE - Jamides celeno optimus

Only four 'record purposes only' photos left, from me, before I start on the Highlands photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 29-May-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Post #132

5) No idea!
    Looks almost identical to Catopyrops ancyra (Ancyra Blue) with stumps of the tail left.

http://www.butterflycircle.com/check...wbutterfly/154
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Perhaps you all already know this :

If an image is hosted at some photo-hosting site or as an attachment to a site, to attach or quote it into your post as a link you insert the image url for example(with or without the URL tag) :

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/angiud/7239138944/[/url]

and it will appear as a link, like below , that require readers to click on it to open a new page to view it :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angiud/7239138944/

To insert it as an image in your quote use the image tag [img] URL address [/img], for example :

[img]http://www.butterflycircle.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18832&stc=1&d=13381686 96[/img]

and it will appear as a picture, this will make understanding the context of the text much easier.

To get the image url of the picture you intend to quote , hover mouse over the intended shot and right click to copy the image url .

If the picture is in a composite attachment , it will be more tedious , you will have to hover your mouse exactly over the shot in the composite to make sure you you get the correct picture's URL and then add the image tag [img] and [/img] before and after the URL to post it as a picture. This is applicable to posting and quoting picture within BC. Some sites disable right click on their picture attachments to prevent copyright infringement.

For your consideration, as this will make reading and understanding the identification process more efficient.

cheers!
    Sunny

~

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    Post #132

Looks almost identical to Catopyrops ancyra (Ancyra Blue) with stumps of the tail left.
    Thank you. I have not seen this species in the wild before, it certainly looks more or less identical. There are two species of Catopyrops from the Sulawesi region, but only C. ancyra subfestivus is from the North.

post #132
    #4 Anthene villosa; shape of forewing subapical band rules out the other two spp. on Sulawesi.
    Aaron Soh

Oh gosh another Jamides
    Probably celeno or a related sp.
    Aaron Soh

1. Danaus genutia leucoglene

2. Libythea geoffroyi celebensis

3. Hypolimnas diomea diomea

Last edited by bluefin; 29-May-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

1. Anthene lycaenina

2. Everes lacturnus.

3. Jamides celeno optimus

4. Catopyrops ancyra subfestivus.

Cyrestis thyonneus celebensis

Pareronia tritaea tritaea (male)

Hypolycaena sipylus giscon

Last edited by bluefin; 29-May-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Post # 139

Likely Everes lacturnus ?

All markings matches and the species has its tails at the vein below the second tonal spot

Looks like a better condition Catopyrops ancyra

Sunny

~