Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exotic Butts

Default Exotic Butts

Somewhere down south where there is currently one big hole in the ground for the future IR, there is a place where exotic butts fly...

The female of the Ornithoptera priamus has a wingspan of nearly 11". When it flies, it looks like a big bird. In comparison, our Common Birdwing is only about 2/3 its size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Somewhere down south where there is currently one big hole in the ground for the future IR, there is a place where exotic butts fly...

The female of the Ornithoptera priamus has a wingspan of nearly 11". When it flies, it looks like a big bird. In comparison, our Common Birdwing is only about 2/3 its size.
    Thought i was lucky today... you got even luckier!
    Looks like we will have a new place to shoot next time :D
    thanks for sharing uncle QQ
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Wapiang ! SO big !!

When I said the Rajah Brooke is around 6 Inches ,Ang Moh in Naturescape are all amazed , and one said he will run if he see a Rajah Brookes, well , if he sees this one close to 11 inches I think he will be scared shitless.
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

did you use your wide angle to shoot??
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

No need to be lucky in there la... just chase and chase and you'll get the shot... just see who gets tired first, you or the butt.

There are quite a few other exotic species in there, but I didn't spend much time in the Butt Park.

The Papilio rumanzovia variants are nice... so much more colourful than our Great Mormon. But not easy to shoot as they land in the most crappy places.
    Khew SK

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    Wapiang ! SO big !!

When I said the Rajah Brooke is around 6 Inches ,Ang Moh in Naturescape are all amazed , and one said he will run if he see a Rajah Brookes, well , if he sees this one close to 11 inches I think he will be scared shitless.
    Ha ha... can even feel the breeze when a female priamus flew over my head.
    Khew SK

Great shots, SK. It is one of my heart's desires to see one of these Ornithoptera species in the wild. Might manage it next year, depending on where I decide to go!

May I make a suggestion, for people to mull over. With more and more members travelling around Asia, and photographing butts not found in Malaysia/Singapore, would it be possible to set up a seperate depositry for those species photos, either under the country names or under species names with notes as to country/ies found?

As I said, just something to think about for the future.

Good idea, Les. One of those "to do" things that we'll add on to the list.

I understand that most of the pupae imported by the Sentosa Butterfly Park comes from Sulawesi and other Indonesian suppliers.
    Khew SK

Ok for the "mountain tortoises" who are still not aware of where these shots were taken...

These were all taken in Singapore - at the Sentosa Butterfly Park. The enclosure has been there since the 90's and upgraded once. However, the appeal of caged butterflies seem to have waned over the years, and I understand from the curator that they are going to renovate the place one more time, and reduce the butterfly portion.

At the moment, they are featuring bird shows and this seems to attract the visitors more than the butts.

But for those of you who are thinking of going, try not to go on weekends. This is because busloads of tourists coming in at regular intervals will spoil your shooting experience. It is very frustrating to chase a butt for some time, and when it lands in a good position and you're ready to shoot, you get interrupted by a horde of tourists who don't care whether you are there or not.
    Khew SK

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Papilio rumanzovia variants
    Where is this? I wanna see them!
    Aaron Soh