Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: North Sulawesi

Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post
    3. Hypolycaena erylus gamatius.
    4. Charaxes affinis affinis. (Specimens also illustrated by E. Tsukada in Butterflies of the SEA Islands vol. 5, 1991).
    5. Ypthima loryma. Life history of this species was documented by Igarashi & Fukuda (The Life Histories of Asian Butterflies vol. 1, plate 120, page 362-363, 1997).

OK, we have the underside of the Charaxes sp. Here is the upperside,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Simple answer,,,, Yes!
    So your Pithecops is P. phoenix moeros and LC's photo is P. corvus corax because only two Pithecops species reported from Sulawesi by Van-Wright & R. de Jong (2003). The race phoenix is twice the size of typical corvus (See: Butterflies of the Oriental Region Part III, page 648, 1986, ed. by B. D'Abrera).

At the right begining, I tried to seperate Pithecops from Neopithecops because both genera have similar wing patterns, and the black dots near the forewing costal margin are not the main characteristics to differentiate these two groups of butterflies. Apart from the differences in their male genitalia, the two genera are distinguished by forewing veins 11 and 12 (i.e. R1 and Sc), which are anastomosed for a short distance before reaching the costa in Pithecops (see C&P 4 page 236 fig 93), but seperate in Neopithecops (In: The higher classification of the Lycaenidae - Lepidoptera by J.N. Eliot, Bulletin of the BMNH Entomology, vol 28 no.6, page 448, 1973). Unfortunately all photos unable to show these differences.

Teo T P

Relating to posts 27 & 28, here are two specimens, which may be the same species. The first was taken at Bogani Nani, c.200m, the second was in Minahasa Highlands ar c. 1000m. Notice the difference in the inner submarginal line on the hindwing.

As we are still on Day 1, mainly, here are two photos of what was, probably the first butt we saw on arrival.

Papilio gigon gigon

Thanks Teo and Aaron for assisting in the IDs.

The butterflies that we encounter at Sulawesi are mostly differently from what we find on the mainland and anything that we shoot would most probably be a +1 for most of us.

Most of the puddlers are not really attracted by our Formula B and they are simply doing fly pass by us without stopping. Although some species may be similar to those found on mainland, they are relatively bigger and most of them exhibits "gigantism". We have witness many huge flyers that simply would not stop for their portrait to be taken.

Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Let's continue with the pictures.

Parthenos sylvia saltentia

Vindula dejone celebensis.

Charaxes affinis affinis

Lamproptera meges [Green Dragontail]

Last edited by bluefin; 24-May-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Is there a possibility that LC's quaker is something else?
    I noticed that P. corvus corax is also the Philippine race but this looks different.
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~Ey4y-TKNM/philframe.html
    Also pics of P. corvus (both sexes) do not show the hairy legs.

TL Seow

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    As we are still on Day 1, mainly, here are two photos of what was, probably the first butt we saw on arrival.

Papilio gigon gigon
    Yes, P. gigon gigon. There are three subspecies (gigon, neriotes and mangolinus) reported by Vane-Wright & R. de Jong (2003) from Sulawesi. Tsukada, Nishiyama & Morishita (1982) pointed out that subsp mangolinus from Sula is smaller and with narrower band, neriotes is from Talaud (Butterflies of SEA Islands vol.1, page 302, plate 79).

Teo T P

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Is there a possibility that LC's quaker is something else?
    I noticed that P. corvus corax is also the Philippine race but this looks different.
    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~Ey4y-TKNM/philframe.html
    Also pics of P. corvus (both sexes) do not show the hairy legs.

TL Seow
    These are the reasons I wonder whether should it be under the genus Pithecops, and without examine the venation, genitalia, upperside, androconia, size where can I place it? Besides, the patterns on underside hindwing also looks different to me for P. corvus corax. I just have to base on the secondary features and report from Vane-Wright & R. de Jong(2003). I have not considered the phenotypic plasticity yet. Any suggestion from you?

Yes, Vane-Wright and R. de Jong also stated P. corvus corax range from Java, western Lesser Sunda Islands, Borneo, Philippines and Kep. Taluad.

Teo T P