Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orange Skipper Collection I - Telicota spp

Thanks SC. Using the key as well, I end up with the same conclusion. Number 275!

Oriens paragola? taken in singapore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ben Jin

Using the key in C&P4, I would tend to agree. However, as this would be a new record, it should be checked against any existing specimens of this Genus.

BJ, I m quite sure this will be a +1

Having realised that my No 2 was Potanthus confucius, I have been in a quandry. I already had a photo of this species, which I now realise was obviously wrong.

It has the orange spots conjoined from spaces 2,3 to 4,5 and from 4,5 to 6,7 on the forewing upperside, but there is no spot in space 7 on the hindwing. There are only three Potanthus species without this spot found in Thailand, P. rectifasciatus, P. pamela and P. pallida, but none of them have the conjoined forewing spots.

I have come to the tentative decision that this may be Taractrocera archias quinta. I would be very grateful for your thoughts, especially from anyone who has had direct experience of this species.

Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 15-Sep-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: additional words

The Taractrocera genus has a unique characteristic of not having the usual apiculus of the Hesperiidae. In your shot, there is a hint of this 'hook' on the right antennae of the specimen, which rules out Taractrocera.

Do you have another shot showing the antennae more clearly? Particular the tip of the club?
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Oriens paragola? taken in singapore.
    Highly likely. This can be considered tentatively. I recall that you shot something similar before, but again, we can't be 100% sure.

You know what to do when you next encounter something like this.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    The Taractrocera genus has a unique characteristic of not having the usual apiculus of the Hesperiidae. In your shot, there is a hint of this 'hook' on the right antennae of the specimen, which rules out Taractrocera.

Do you have another shot showing the antennae more clearly? Particular the tip of the club?
    You may have realised from my original wording that I was not particularly confident with my tentative ID of this one.

Sorry, taken with my old box brownie, so pic is very heavily cropped, and the only one I have. However, enlarged as far as poss, which shows what you mean to anyone who does not know the apiculus.

This leads me to ask, what is it then, as I've discarded all the Potanthus?
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 15-Sep-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Highly likely. This can be considered tentatively. I recall that you shot something similar before, but again, we can't be 100% sure.

You know what to do when you next encounter something like this.
    One more sighted today at Yishun area, I believe it is the same species, see pic attached and hope to be able to ID it this time
    Ben Jin

Yes, looks like same species, so did you follow Khew's advice?