Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Koh Phangan 2013

You always bring good luck with you so, don't worry!

Today I arrived too early, no patience, I was tired and the sky was very cloudy.

I popped over to KPN yesterday following Antonio's recent finds. Unfortunately, not much was flying, though we did see, again, the Emerald.

We did have one slice of luck, however. Antonio found a dead male Deramas at the same location he took the photo shown earlier in this thread. Upperside, in situ, is shown, together with the underside in preparation for relaxing, prior to setting, as I was able to take the specimen as a voucher specimen without feeling guilty as I usually do when obtaining a voucher specimen. The upperside throws into doubt the earlier id as Deramas livens. I believe it is more likely to be Deramas jasoda jasoda, as there is a blue extension at the cell end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    I popped over to KPN yesterday following Antonio's recent finds. Unfortunately, not much was flying, though we did see, again, the Emerald.

We did have one slice of luck, however. Antonio found a dead male Deramas at the same location he took the photo shown earlier in this thread. Upperside, in situ, is shown, together with the underside in preparation for relaxing, prior to setting, as I was able to take the specimen as a voucher specimen without feeling guilty as I usually do when obtaining a voucher specimen. The upperside throws into doubt the earlier id as Deramas livens. I believe it is more likely to be Deramas jasoda jasoda, as there is a blue extension at the cell end.
    You are absolutely right.
    I did not double-checked to see if there is another sp. without tornal orange.
    A helpful feature is that the HW cilia of D. livens is checquered, more prominent in the female.
    http://yutaka.it-n.jp/lyc1/80170010.html

TL Seow

Thank you, Seow, for the confirmation. Unfortunately, I had just published on my site the pages for D. livens! I must now change them all again.

Antonio, if it is any consolation for the poor results from yesterday, I have just been to my most productive area on Samui, and things are even worse here!

I'm on the way to Khao Phanom Bencha national park. I hope will be more busy than our areas...

Today a short but profitable walk on the same location. A +1 both for KPG and for my Thai list:

The Banded Royal - Rachana jalindra burbona

Also bit scared by this encounter along the trail:

King Cobra

Superb shot of the Rachana, rare-ish on Samui.

I totally envy your meeting with the great King. I have only met him once, and did not have my camera ready!

Congrats, Antonio!
    The Banded Royal is a real beauty.
    I have not met one in Singapore yet.
    -Loke

Congrats Antonio on the Royal Beauty and the King.

Shoot N Flickr

- Nelson -

Thanks for the nice words.

Today no Cobra, but the location is always generous with a few species new for me or for the island.

The Common Rose - Pachliopta aristolochiae asteris - Common, but not for KPG, and this if my first pic from the island

The Spotted Judy - Abisara geza nyla - a +1 for KPG

The Indigo Flash - Rapala varuna orseis - Maybe common, but a +1 both for my Thailand collection and for KPG

Deramas sp. Possibly a female, completely lack of blue color in the upperside. Definitely larger than the other D. jasoda seen last month.