Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orange Skipper Collection I - Telicota spp

I did, SC
    Ben Jin

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Resurrecting this thread after 2 years. I am adding Potanthus to it, I hope you don't mind. 6 different specimens. Hope someone can help.

No1)
    les, yr post no. 3, one photo showing the skipper with apiculus on antennae but the other without, are they the same specimen?

Yes,SC, the same specimen. I think you will find that the the one without the apicalus is simply due to the angle of shot.

Default orange UFO'S LIST 1

The third doesnt seem to be Telicota..it may be a Potanthus or Taracterocera.
    Cheers!
    Kalesh

Quote Originally Posted by kaleshs2002in View Post
    The third doesnt seem to be Telicota..it may be a Potanthus or Taracterocera.
    Cheers!
    Kalesh
    Don't think any are taractrocera's. All haf "hooks".
    Aaron Soh

I think the third skipper in post #1 by Khew matches Potanthus hetaerus.
    Horace

Cool

Hey I've got some pics too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Khew's photos

Thankfully there are only three Telicota spps in Singapore.

1 T augias augias male. In T. augias male the underside forewing area is deeply shaded orange so that the spots are difficult to discend from the ground colour.

2 T. colon stinga male. The male is readily IDed by the orangey vein streaks running from the main spots.

3 Potanthus hetaerus serina female. The black gap between the the three subcostal spots and the costal yellow area indicates it is a Potanthus. The underside have a neater appearance than other Potanthus. The marginal areas are shaded yellow and crossed by darkened veins. Hindwing band has a small extension into space 6 (probably not important)
    Horace was right.

4 T. augias male . As stated, ground colour obscured the spots.

5 T. augias . Left-male, right-female. The underside orangey-yellow ground colour of the hindwing of the female IDed the pair.

Giving Les' photos a miss, since I am not too sure about the Thai spps.

Sky Blue 's photo

Cephrenes acalle niasicus male
    The series of orange costal streaks extending and joining the 3 subcostal spots is not seen in Potanthus but typical of Telicota male. However, on the upperside the streaks are not so extensive and just meet the subcostal spots.
    In addition, the orange cell bar have a central black streak not found in the in the 3 Telicota spp male.

Banded Yeoman 's photo

Potanthus omaha male.
    Note small size, band cut by darkened veins; costal band not strongly darkened as in P. hetaerus male. Highly variable, thus spot in space 6 may be present.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Giving Les' photos a miss, since I am not too sure about the Thai spps.
    You are doing yourself a disservice here . Actually, all known Potanthus species from the peninsular part of Thailand are also found in Malaysia, and they are the same subspecies.

If you could look at my photos again, I would be very grateful, as I am nearing publication of a paper listing the species from Koh Samui Island, and would like to be certain of my facts.(I do not want to put down Potanthus sp.1, Potanthus sp.2, etc). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    You are doing yourself a disservice here . Actually, all known Potanthus species from the peninsular part of Thailand are also found in Malaysia, and they are the same subspecies.

If you could look at my photos again, I would be very grateful, as I am nearing publication of a paper listing the species from Koh Samui Island, and would like to be certain of my facts.(I do not want to put down Potanthus sp.1, Potanthus sp.2, etc). Thanks.
    Here goes Les. This is what I think it is.

1 Potanthus hetaerus. This is easy enough with the yellow -shaded marginal areas crossed by darkened veins.

2 Potanthus ganda. The overlap between spot 3 and 4 is less than half.

3 Potanthus confucius. There is a linking up of all the spots.

4 Potanthus juno. Spot 8 on the costal margin is reduced to a dot and seemed to be missing on the under surface.

5 Potanthus lydia . This could not be P. trachala because in P. trachala, spots 1, 2, and 3 are strongly crescentic in the male, and this is a male judging by its large orange spots. It cannot be P. ganda because ganda is a small species, and spot 8 tends to be short. P. lydia is a montane spp in Malaysia.

6 Potanthus hetaerus male . Large dark and the hindwing band with a narrow extension into space 6.

Hope it helps.

TL Seow