Thread: Nacaduba russelli is EXTANT in Singapore!!

Default Nacaduba russelli is EXTANT in Singapore!!

Chanced upon this post by username ParcelBye on Flickr, which they have kindly allowed me to share on the forums:

Although they labelled this as N. pavana, it is clearly the very rare N. russelli.

Diagnostic features are in the marginal and submarginal markings.

According to Tite(1963) in his original description of russelli, the submarginal spots (in russelli) are "lozenge shaped, whereas those of (pavana) singapura are dash-like and surrounded by a much wider white area..."

Comparing this shot with shots of pavana in the checklist, the differences that Tite had mentioned are readily apparent. You can see that the white band separating the marginal and submarginal markings in pavana is very straight, whereas it is scalloped in russelli. Comparing the respective forewings of both species, the lozenge-shaped markings in russelli are quite different from the markings of any pavana

Another feature which is not mentioned by Tite, but which i feel may be useful, is that in russelli, all the striae appear thinner and less edged with dark scales, especially the basal striae on the hindwing.

**What's noteworthy is that the allotype female was supposedly collected in 1938 in "Nee Soon"; Springleaf NP(where this was found) is in the same general area, so this place is obviously worth checking out. My guess is that N. russelli has a very restricted distribution and may be critically endangered, thriving only in this area. The nearby USR should be heavily scrutinised as well.

Henceforth, all the recorded Nacaduba spp. are extant in Singapore, four of which (subperusia, hermus, pendleburyi and russelli) are rare to very rare
    Aaron Soh

Well done!

I actually have been looking for russelli for a long time , scrutinising all shots of pavana posted, but no success.

TL Seow: Cheers.

Thanks Dr Seow, i stumbled upon it completely by chance.

Here are Tite's illustrations of the hindwings of both species for quick comparison
    Aaron Soh

YES. Finally. Good job on the surveillance Aaron.

Did they mention when / where this was found? I have a collection of Nacaduba to update..
    cheers
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    Thanks Dr Seow, i stumbled upon it completely by chance.

Here are Tite's illustrations of the hindwings of both species for quick comparison
    Yes, I am aware of Tite's description having checked it some years ago.

There are other cases waiting to be solved.

Here is one which intrigued me for years.
    It is labelled as R. dieneces but is not.
    The FW band is bent as seen in some male R. scintilla.
    The olive brown colour have a hint of green.
    http://www.butterflycircle.com/check...0Ben%20Jin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Banded Yeoman View Post
    YES. Finally. Good job on the surveillance Aaron.

Did they mention when / where this was found? I have a collection of Nacaduba to update..
    I asked them. This was their response:

"... I will make references to the pictures on: butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2017/12/butterfly-photography-at-our-local.html

At SNP, there is this viewing platform (Pic 9) whereby you can see an open area with a concrete area and many nectaring plants grown. (Left area in Pic 10).

Walk down to the back of this area (Pic 11) and you will see a row of Leea rubra (Pic 12). Note that this row of Leea rubra is not next/near to the canal but rather, next to the big grassy area where Grey Pansies, Common Sailors and Bushbrowns can be found.

The shot was taken on 31 Dec 2018, around 9am. There was only 1 individual spotted that day..."

Definitely checking it out when i return
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Yes, I am aware of Tite's description having checked it some years ago.

There are other cases waiting to be solved.

Here is one which intrigued me for years.
    It is labelled as R. dieneces but is not.
    The FW band is bent as seen in some male R. scintilla.
    The olive brown colour have a hint of green.
    http://www.butterflycircle.com/check...0Ben%20Jin.jpg

I could try looking into that!

Another one i'm trying to look for is Rapala cowani, because i recall that that has been found but i can't remember when/where
    Aaron Soh

That's actually quite incredible that it was seen all this while in the SAME area that it was collected, even though the landscape may be totally different now.

It is likely surviving in the adjacent forest and was attracted out in the open by the Leea.

This is quite a surprise and the first notable butterfly sighting from this nature park.
    cheers
    Jonathan

It's a real mystery how it miraculously survived all that destruction
    Aaron Soh