Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penang Trip Part 1 - In the field

Default Penang Trip Part 1 - In the field

Firstly, I will update you on the curious affair of the Zebra Blue, (Leptotes plinius). It is still at the International Departure Lounge of Samui Airport, and I am still yet to see it antwhere else! I managed another photo of the species, but they are not good enough for posting here. However, I later noticed that one photo showed a female ovipositing. Unfortunately, I did not take a photo of the hostplant for IDing, so that will have to wait until I go back in 3 months.

The weather in Penang was mainly cloudy, so I did not have much opportunity to see many butts, but I did manage to find some which I believe are quite interesting, and not posted here very often, if at all.

1) This will be familiar to you, The Assyrian (Terinos terpander robertsia).
    Terinosterpanderrobertsia.mr2.jpgTerinosterpanderrobertsia.mr3.jpg

2) Probably new to most of you, The Malayan Ringlet (Ragadia makuta siponta)
    Ragadiamakutasiponta.fv2.jpg

3) I hope I am right on this one. I have based my ID on the underside spots. If anyone would care to correct me, although I will be dosappointed, it is considered very rare, please do so. A female Pseudokerana fulgur (Orange Banded Lancer)
    IMG_9736.jpgIMG_9808.jpg

4) Probably one of the common species, but I have not seen upper hindwings with five spots before, any suggestions?
    IMG_9815.jpgIMG_9819.jpg

cont........
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 04-Dec-2008 at 08:46 AM.

.......cont

A couple of Arhopalas. SK, with your knowledge of the Penang area, perhaps you could guide me as to possibilites in these cases.

5) Sorry for upperside, but it may help with the ID.
    IMG_9810.jpgIMG_9812.jpg

6)
    IMG_9797.jpg

7) Abisara sp. Could someone confirm ID?
    IMG_9788.jpgIMG_9794.jpg

8) This looked too small to be the Common Saturn (Zeuxidia amethysus amethystus). I had it down as Zuexidia masoni, but I see that it has not yet been recorded in Malaysia.
    IMG_9805.jpg

Other species seen, but unable to photograph included a Red Harlequin, probably Paralaxita damajanti damajanti. Idea sp, looked dark enough to be Idea lynceus lynceus, if found in the area, otherwise a darkish specimen of Idea stolli. I have a very bad photo of it if any needs to see it.

great records les!
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Now those are some awesome butterflies that i've never seen before. Thanks for sharing Les, making me green with envy!

I'm sure cloudy might be the best alternative to rainy days perhaps! You did well there.

Cheers!

Nice collection Les, I'm going to post my Penang series in 1 or 2 days time ;)

Btw, some minor update on the name to ease future search
    Ragadia makuta siponta
    Pseudokerana fulgur

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Nice collection Les, I'm going to post my Penang series in 1 or 2 days time ;)

Btw, some minor update on the name to ease future search
    Ragadia makuta siponta
    Pseudokerana fulgur
    Thanks. I seemed to get an 'a' fetish!

Les, I wouldn't venture any guesses about the Arhopala from field shots. Even with set specimens, I only have a 70% confidence of IDs.

As for the Saturn, the forewing shape seems to suggest a Zeuxidia doubledayii.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Les, I wouldn't venture any guesses about the Arhopala from field shots. Even with set specimens, I only have a 70% confidence of IDs.

As for the Saturn, the forewing shape seems to suggest a Zeuxidia doubledayii.
    Well, it was worth trying!!!! I was being lazy again. I have a pretty good idea of the first one, but not 100% sure. The second one has got me stumped though.

The Zeuxidia species had bright blue on the uppersides, so I did not think it could be Z. doubledayii, which, I thought, was more purple in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    The Zeuxidia species had bright blue on the uppersides, so I did not think it could be Z. doubledayii, which, I thought, was more purple in colour.
    They're both blue on the uppersides - more so when seen out in the field. In fact, the more extensive blue areas of Z. doubledayii makes the blue even more pronounced when it flashes off from low level in shaded forested areas.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Les,

#7 Abisara species , can exclude Abisara saturata kausambiodes (Malayan Plum Judy ) female, firstly as it appears to be a male with 2 pairs of legs. The flair and rather pointed feature of the hindwing extension at space 4 of a female Malayan Plum Judy is also absent and instead it is rounded in shape.

That left it either being a Abisara gezaa niya or a Abisara kausambi kausambi , the other two Abisara Species that are present in Peninsula Malaya.

The oblique angle of the shot make one of the main key feature of identifying the Abisara giza niya difficult to make out :

"Underside of hindwing discal band dislocated at vein 4"

If one scutinize the hindwing extension at vein 4 area with vein 5 , it shows that it is not prominently dislocated to confirm it as a A.geza niya .

To venture an educated guess base on what can be discerned...... it is possible that it is a A kausambi kausambi.

Last edited by Silverstreak; 05-Dec-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~