Thread: Black and unmarked Pompelon marginata

Default Black and unmarked Pompelon marginata

I don't know whether the moth is dimorphic when it comes to females and males. But this particular one didn't have distinct blue markings and no red abdomen either!
    Butterfly dogs don't like baths. They only like to puddle... in their own pee!

The blue stripes are probably an optical effect, showing up best in strong sunlight.
    Aaron Soh

I remember shooting one with similar settings in the shade and the colours showed up. Here...

You think it's the angle? But there was no red abdomen either... hmmmm... so odd.

Hmm...strange. But it looks much nicer with all the electric blue turned on :D
    Kurt Flickr
    Macro Gear/Blog
    My Gear: 40D, Macro: MP-E65, MT-24EX, DIY diffuser, 580EXII; T17-50, Sigma 150

Yeah, probably the angle. The red body is probably hidden from view.
    Aaron Soh

aaron: sorry i didnt make myself clear. It wasnt from the pic. when the moth was disturbed, it flew up and i noticed it didnt have the usual red abdo.↲
    Kurt: maybe the moth switch off neon lights for the day for the sake of earth hour. Heh :p