Thread: Another Atlas Moth

Default Another Atlas Moth

Saw this huge cat

Went back a week later, it became a huge moth (Atlas Moth if I'm not wrong).

Behind this huge moth was another smaller male (i guess), it was a mating pair

James

Yup. Big buggers, aren't they? Atlas Moth (Attacus atlas) has the distinction of being the biggest moth in the world.

The female that you shot was still hanging onto its pupal case. In Marina South, the caterpillars have been known to defoliate the Ardisia elliptica shrubs.

If you encounter the cats, please do not touch them. They will give you a bad rash/itch.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

two moths hanging on the same pupa case? That is a pretty interesting shot you have there!
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Mormon View Post
    two moths hanging on the same pupa case? That is a pretty interesting shot you have there!
    It's something that happens with butts too!

Female ecloses... female hangs on pupal case and spreads wings to dry... Male comes along, with a strong sense of urgency... *ZAP*...
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Yup. Big buggers, aren't they? Atlas Moth (Attacus atlas) has the distinction of being the biggest moth in the world.

The female that you shot was still hanging onto its pupal case. In Marina South, the caterpillars have been known to defoliate the Ardisia elliptica shrubs.

If you encounter the cats, please do not touch them. They will give you a bad rash/itch.
    Wow! Luckily I didn't touch it as I use to touch and feel cat without hair

I do agree with SK that the male was probably attracted by the newly enclosed female.

That's pretty common in butts too, esp in the Troides, Ornithoptera genera but it's even more crucial for these moths since they have only a few days to find a mate and reproduce.
    Aaron Soh

I heard that these moths used to be very abundant but are now confined to the reserves.
    Aaron Soh

Not exactly. I've seen them in urban parks and even a couple of times inside MRT stations at night!

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Not exactly. I've seen them in urban parks and even a couple of times inside MRT stations at night!
    Oh, yes, those are the odd few. My mum once saw one at her workplace.
    Maybe those are dying?
    Aaron Soh

If I recall correctly their lifespan is very short anyway, only a couple of weeks. They possibly get distracted by lights like many moths do.