Thread: A Map and a Gem of a find

Default A Map and a Gem of a find

A +1!!! I have long been frustrated by the fact that I have not had any of the Subfamily Poritiinae on my Samui list. Yesterday, I corrected this omission by finding one, and it was a huge surprise. It is the very rare Cyaniriodes libna andersonii (The Emerald). Unfortunately, it was in deep shade, and with no flash, I could not take any photos.

I also saw, for the first time in well over a year the Common Map, Cyrestis thyodamas thyodamas, and managed a record shot of the underside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Painted Jezebel; 23-Mar-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Congrats, Les. Only one of you over there, and you already have more finds regularly. Imagine if all of BC members were to be over there in Samui helping you. We could be having +1's every week!
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Thanks, SK. If I had help, I might not have missed what I suspect was a second Flos species for the Island. Unfortunately, it flew up to the canopy before I could ID it.

i am getting out of army this year! maybe if i can find a job to support myself i want to visit there man! so many beautiful butterflies
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-

Nice find Les! Certainly a thrill to get a +1 anytime anyday!

Mark, i thought you planning to study?

Cheers!

i'm sure a little while out wont affect my budget depending on the pay =\
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-

To ease future search, the name should be Cyrestis thyodamas thyodamas

Thanks, and sorry SC, the old grey cells playing up again! Edited original post. Also had to amend all relevent pages on my website, as I have been spelling this and the other members of the genus wrong since my arrival!!!