Thread: +2 from Koh Samui

Default +2 from Koh Samui

It is rare for me to find new species now, so finding two in one week was wonderful . Sharing the poor record shots.

The first is known to you, Ampittia dioscorides camertes (Common Bush Hopper). I had met this species before, but only in Malaysia. It was not a huge surprise to find it here. Unlike the second one.

The other species found was Lethe mekara gopaka (Common Red Forrester). This one, a female, refused to cooperate and allow me to get a clear photo of it, staying in the undergrowth .
    Attached Images Attached Images

congrats on the pluses!
    I Wander how, I Wander why...

my flickr

congrats les!
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

2nd one is so beautiful. Congrats Les !

Great finds, Les!

Lethe mekara is even more skittish than the Bamboo Tree Brown, to which it is closely related. I used to chase them in the thick undergrowth many years ago, and got my net stuck in the thorns...
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

woah! I love the Lethe mekara gopaka (Common Red Forrester) certainly a great plus for samui & yourself.

Thanks for sharing while i'll try harder to find a bamboo tree brown. Still have not got a good shot of the bamboo tree brown & not seen it for a long long time.

I'm wondering if timing do play a part. Do they prefer the dawn and dusk period?

Does the Common Red Forrester shares the same time preference in coming out like the bamboo tree brown?

Sorry for so many question as i really love these family of butts.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for the congrats. The upperside is really beautiful, C&P4 does not really do it justice. Shame that the likelihood of getting an upperside shot is practically Nil!

Quote Originally Posted by benetay View Post
    I'm wondering if timing do play a part. Do they prefer the dawn and dusk period?

Does the Common Red Forrester shares the same time preference in coming out like the bamboo tree brown?

Sorry for so many question as i really love these family of butts.

Cheers!
    I believe that most Lethe species prefer dawn and dusk, but L. mekara does not seem to visit house lights like the commoner L. europa. This one I disturbed in a dense thicket around midday, and all it wanted to do was go and hide somewhere else dark. I was chasing it around for over 1/2hr. Fortunately, it never flew far.

Lucky you~ I've never got the chance to see the bamboo tree brown for more than 10 mins.

Shame on me.

Cheers!