Thread: A Skipper Day

Default A Skipper Day

What a great day I had yesterday!

Most importantly, I have found another area where the endemic Atrophaneura adamsoni takakoae (Adamson's Rose) can be found. This is between the two existing sites I had already found, and means that the two colonies are not isolated, as I had previously thought. The strange thing is that this new site is one that I visit twice a week, and I had never seen it there before, but I saw six or seven specimens flying around. Also, it is NOT in an area likely for development.

The Skippers were out in force and I have managed a +1, and possibly a +2!

The definite +1, Baoris oceia (The Rice Paintbrush Swift).
    Baorisoceia.mv.jpg

The possible +2. Could this be Polytremis lubricans lubricans (Contiguous Swift)? PLEASE HELP. The size of the spots lead me to that thought. (Sorry about the standard of the hindwing shot, it was the only one I managed before it flew off!)
    IMG_0088.jpgIMG_0093.jpg

Notocrypta curvifascia corinda (Restricted Demon). Had not seen this for a while, so happy to renew acquaintances.
    Notocryptacurvifasciacorinda.mr2.jpgNotocryptacurvifasciacorinda.mv3.jpg

Also, I came across several old friends that I had not seen for a long time such as Jamides bochus and Arhopala fulla.

Glad to know that up north is doing very well. We had a skipper fix today too. Saw quite a number of buzzing activities. Problem with them is that i might snap my neck chasing it. I'm sorry about the ID, i can't help but certainly you have a great series of skipper for us. Congrats on the place where no development will occur, the butts will be grateful too.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

looks like the weather hasnt been cruel to u lately =P
    hope to see more from the north
    In the spirit of science, there really is no such thing as a 'failed experiment.' Any test that yields valid data is a valid test.

-Mark-