Thread: Two colourful moths

Default Two colourful moths

Hi, all, m posting again, this time 2 moths for ID.

1. Now, i know that this is a member of the saturniidae family n i know it's a male, just forgot the name. It was found in the toilet at the ranger station in macritchie.

2. Found this mature moth cat in my school n it hatched out to be an interesting one. After doing some research, i found a moth called daphnis nerii, of which i suspect it is. Cn someone confirm please?(It's blur coz i used my old cam.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron Soh

Both shots are OOF. kekeke

Try covering your in-built flash with a piece of tissue paper to softern the flash light.
    Chee Ming, Sum

the 2nd pic looks like Oleander Hawk Moth (Daphnis nerii).

Ya, look like that moth in the photo highlight here http://butterfly.nss.org.sg/home/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Common Mime View Post
    Both shots are OOF. kekeke

Try covering your in-built flash with a piece of tissue paper to softern the flash light.
    Thx. I didn't know that tissue paper could be of any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    the 2nd pic looks like Oleander Hawk Moth (Daphnis nerii).
    Quote Originally Posted by Yong San View Post
    Ya, look like that moth in the photo highlight here http://butterfly.nss.org.sg/home/index.html
    Thx LC Goh n Yong San. I thought it was dapnis nerii bt bcoz of the different food plant(adenium obesum, apocynaceae) and more colourful than usual caterpillar, i thought it could be a closely related sp. Wah, this creature sure is greedy.
    Aaron Soh

Here is the pic of the somewhat atypical cat. I thought the cats were green with blue spiracle openings?
    Aaron Soh

They normally are. Here is an old photo of an normally coloured cat taken with my dearly departed Box Brownie. I do not think this cat was very well! Just a suggestion, but could the different colouration be due to the fact the cat was about to pupate?

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Jezebel View Post
    Just a suggestion, but could the different colouration be due to the fact the cat was about to pupate?
    Probably not, Les. I haf reared two cats of the same sp. before n they were coloured much like urs even when they were in their 1st instar, which is only a few mm in length as compared to 12 cm in the latest instar(moths seem to haf more instars ). This cat was orange from the start. Btw, r those dropppings hanging from the cat's behind?
    Aaron Soh

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    Btw, r those dropppings hanging from the cat's behind?
    No! I don't know what it was, but it looks disgusting. As I said, I do not think it was very well!