Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Rare Arhopala

This is likely the female of Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli , the 2 shots ( #2 &#3 of the same butterfly )were taken today while tracking the male which has the exact same marking except upper surface is metalic green.

Under wing markings of #2 matches the male in #1 . The female upper surface of both fore and hind wings are metallic blue in color border by dark brown , reference : Butterflies of Thailand, Plate 292 L273b on Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli

Two males with their distinctive metallic green upper were sighted today but unable to take any shot due to their skittishness . The males safety distance extend out to almost 3 meters despite my very cautious approach. In all my encounters, with the males so far, they take flight with the slightest disturbance and head for the top of the tree most of the time.

The females appears to be more docile and stay in the under bush flitting from leaf to leaf and with much shorter safety distance.

#1 Males

#2 This is a Arhopala silhetensis adorea (Sylhet Oakblue) instead of the female of the Green Oakblue.... Corrected on 19th Apr 08

Female upper wing

Last edited by Silverstreak; 19-Apr-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Shot this worn Arhopala specimen.
    Looks like a female specimen of A. eumolphus maxwelli when checked against the Plate 292 L273b of Pisuth's book. Hopefully a more pristine specimen will come my way soon.

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Found this shot taken at USR in the TBD archive folder, is this possibly a Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli (blue on top), please help me to confirm the ID & thx!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ben Jin

The 2nd mark from the apex of the forewings in pic 1 n 2 don't correspond.
    Aaron Soh

BJ, from what I see, your shot is not Arhopala eumolphus maxwelli (the forewing postdiscal spot at space 4 move out of line towards the edge (termen ?) )
    In your shot, the forewing postdiscal spot at space 4 is still quite in line with those at space 5 and 6.

These 3 shots here by Ben Jin and myself are actually the Arhopala silhetensis adorea (Sylhet Oakblue)

http://b-pals.com/forums/attachment....1&d=1191507423
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~