Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd June 07 AHBT Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    To make CM more ...... dun think you will ever find another Rose that is so tame and well position to be shot!
    Can, shoot in my studio

Is that Simon on the right?
    Chee Ming, Sum

Throwing in a few shots from the outing as well. Same ol' Black Rose.

(Better check my green histogram before someone reminds me of the green cast again)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Must stop procrastinating and make that bounce card soon, unless I want disastrously dark backgrounds.. =D

Thanks guys for the outing, especially the more experienced people, learnt quite a bit, and most importantly - had fun! Who can ever forget the Rose TFCD or the Common Imperial TFCD?

Two skippers;

Still figuring out how to process the CI with overly dark background.. =/

Sharing some shots from the outing. Nice meeting some of you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nitemare, the reason why you getting dark background isn't due to the flash or bounce. If you realised, most of us, use the omni bounce or like sunny and me direct flashing. to achieve a brighter background, you need to control the shutterspeed, aperture and ISO

nitemare, I agree with Simon's comment.

Perhaps you could share with us your settings for the above shots. To get better background, firsly, you need to control your exposure, it need to be spot on if you are shooting JPEG but you have about 1-stop +/- if shooting RAW. Try to use higher ISO if your most comfortable shutter speed with your setup is too high.

As Sunny said, shoot more, and you will learn.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Common Mime; 03-Jun-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Amended the word shuttle to shutter, which is the correct word. :p
    Chee Ming, Sum

Quote Originally Posted by Common Mime View Post
    Try to use higher ISO if your most comfortable shuttle speed with your setup is too high.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Corrected!
    Chee Ming, Sum

More Black Rose to wet CM's appetite.

This one's from Wang Peck.

and here's mine.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot View Post
    nitemare, the reason why you getting dark background isn't due to the flash or bounce. If you realised, most of us, use the omni bounce or like sunny and me direct flashing. to achieve a brighter background, you need to control the shutterspeed, aperture and ISO
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Mime View Post
    nitemare, I agree with Simon's comment.

Perhaps you could share with us your settings for the above shots. To get better background, firsly, you need to control your exposure, it need to be spot on if you are shooting JPEG but you have about 1-stop +/- if shooting RAW. Try to use higher ISO if your most comfortable shutter speed with your setup is too high.

As Sunny said, shoot more, and you will learn.

Cheers!
    Hrm, I get very varied results, but I just got a more powerful (but very cheap) flash instead of my in-built - so it has a fixed output. Most of the above shots are at 300mm, the one with the brighter background was shot at ISO 400, f/9.5, 1/180 seconds (fastest shutter speed I have due to sync limitations). The other one is shot at ISO 400, f/13, 1/180 seconds.

I wish I'd kept the 2 sets of Pale Grass Blue pictures to display and compare - one was shot with flash, the other without, same aperture and ISO settings, just that exposure timing was different. The one without the flash has a much more pleasant (brighter) background closer to what you guys are achieving, which was why I made that statement. Of course it was not sharp at all, since the shutter speed was pretty low.

Thanks for the help! =)