Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two butts from BTNR

Default Two butts from BTNR

A short stroll along the earlier stretch of mountain biking trail (aborted by the rain) yielded two butts.

Pic 1: Common Duffer
    Pic 2: Banded Swallowtail

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow... two nice ones. Common Duffer's not that common here, and is considered either vulnerable or endangered. So you did well to even get such a nice shot of it.

Do look out for the cats... another bamboo feeder, so there should be a bamboo clump (the large leaf variety) nearby.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Concur with Khew, nice shots.

Khew- What's the definition of uncommon, rare, vulnerable or endangered, thks in advance
    Ben Jin

Nice shots, Horace. Find the C. Duffer over-sharperned.
    Chee Ming, Sum

Wah, another rare one shot by you. The last time I saw the Common Duffer was at Ubin.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Khew- What's the definition of uncommon, rare, vulnerable or endangered, thks in advance
    Based on the IUCN (The World Conservation Union) convention, there are 4 categories - Vulnerable, Endangered, Critically Endangered and Nationally Extinct. A 5th category, Data Deficient, is added for those which have dubious existence or needs revalidation.

I've just submitted my write up for the new Singapore Red Data Book 2007 and I'll send you guys the papers on the IUCN later if you're interested to read up on that.
    Khew SK

Thanks, Khew, Ben Jin, Chee Ming and Federick.

I was actually planning to go Ubin for adding Common Duffer (CD) to my collection, but today's record shot of this species at BTNR makes this unnecessary.

Khew, Yes, there was a large bamboo clump nearby, and the leaves were quite large (about 3-4cm in width). There were about three large butts sighted at this site just after the first steep down-and-up slope.

Chee Ming, I did quite a bit of denoising and sharpening of the CD shot in CS2, and might have overdone the USM part. The shot was taken under canopy, and under rain-cloud covered sky, and the settings used were ISO400, 1/20 and f4.5. Luckily the butt allowed me to fire about ten-odd shots at these settings, and all but one CMI.

Horace

Quote Originally Posted by horace2264 View Post
    Khew, Yes, there was a large bamboo clump nearby, and the leaves were quite large (about 3-4cm in width). There were about three large butts sighted at this site just after the first steep down-and-up slope.
    Oh... that place. My favourite place for nailing the Banded Demon.

Check out the leaves there. Hopefully can still catch one or two cats or the next generation.
    Khew SK

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Check out the leaves there. Hopefully can still catch one or two cats or the next generation.
    I did check out the leaves near the trail. There were some used leaf shelters, but no cats nor eggs yet. Need to again next time.

BTW I find Banded Demon much more common at the stretch of trail nearest to the Rail Mall.

Horace

The cats of the Common Duffer are big, hairy and do not build leaf shelters like the Hesperiidae do. I believe Soon Chye had some shots of the cat taken at Endau Rompin some time ago.
    Khew SK