Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arhopala trogon?

Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot View Post
    well done horace on your +1, like the sheen
    Thanks, Simon. Glad that you like the sheen.

Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    My apologies. Whilst editing the title, I must've somehow accidentally removed this thread. It's back now. Thanks to CM for letting me know.

Well done on the +1 Horace. Seldom see Arhopalas with clean green backgrounds.
    Thanks, Khew for correcting the title and restoring the thread. Let's hope the butt makes repeat appearances for all to enjoy capturing on CCD.

Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
    Horace,

Obviously with ISO 800 some denoising had been carried out.

Are you using a combination of Noise Ninja/ Neat image and Photoktd Sharpener?

It appears that the butts has been over- smoothen. Try a 2 stage process on smoothing if you are using Photokit Sharpener.

First smoothen the butts first with smoothing brush 1 and decrease the "Fill" slider to desire level(default at 100%).

Next smoothing the BG only with smoothing brush 2 or 3 .

I could be wrong , but it appears to me that the butts has more details but was over-smoothen.

Cheers!
    Thanks, Sunny for sharing your workshow for cleaning out noises in images at high ISO. In my case, I did not apply any denoising nor smoothing techniques to the picture posted. I didn't see any apparent and annoying noises in this particular picture. All I did was to do a slight crop, some USM and finished with the save-for-web function.

The perceived absence of details is due to the shooter's unsteady hands even at 1/125. Furthermore when I zoomed in to examine the details captured, I could see that the area at and adjacent to the forewing apex was not in sharp focus when the shot was taken.

Horace

Sighted another male A. trogon at the same location, but this time the butt has some birth defect on one hindwing revealing the yellowish-green patches on the upperside.

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm.. the left hindwing is completely crumpled. This individual won't last very long. Did you see it fly?
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Hmm.. the left hindwing is completely crumpled. This individual won't last very long. Did you see it fly?

Yes, it was flying across the trail when it caught my attention. Later it flew from one high perch to another higher perch, and finally out of sight.

Horace