Thread: Which Rapala?

Hybrid View

Default Which Rapala?

Shot this Rapala at KRP (pic 1). Does not look like the Slate Flash with the darker brown and purplish sheen. Also caught a glimpse of its upperside (pic 2).
    Any suggestions from the expert on its ID?

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot View Post
    i say its the indigo Flash
    Looking at the plate for indigo flash in C&P4, and those pic kept in the Bcircle checklist, the indigo flash is supposed to have very broad post-discal bands, and broader than those shown in the pic I took.

Horace

Adding another shot of the Rapala.

Just had a closer look at the Rapala section in C&P4. On page 327, it says the ID key for R. nissa is "male upperside steely blue; no brand on forewing. Female upperside paler steely blue. Underside pale brown, with a strong rosy purple wash; post-discal band reddish brown, and unusually straight on the forewing".

Is R. nissa a possibility for the specimen I shot?

Horace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by horace2264; 23-Jan-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Replaced attached pic to show more details of the Rapala

My personal opinion is that this is still an Indigo Flash. I have specimens where the post-discal band is narrower than those figured in C&P4. Also, "steely blue" is light blue. The upperside of what you shot is consistent with a deep indigo blue.

The other clue which also gives an indication is the missing brand on the forewing. The male you shot has an obvious brand shown by that circular bump on the hindwing. If the brand is absent, the bump is usually also not there.

But with these lookalikes, one cannot be 100% sure. Check out the Japanese Rapala plates for more info.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    My personal opinion is that this is still an Indigo Flash. I have specimens where the post-discal band is narrower than those figured in C&P4. Also, "steely blue" is light blue. The upperside of what you shot is consistent with a deep indigo blue.

The other clue which also gives an indication is the missing brand on the forewing. The male you shot has an obvious brand shown by that circular bump on the hindwing. If the brand is absent, the bump is usually also not there.

But with these lookalikes, one cannot be 100% sure. Check out the Japanese Rapala plates for more info.
    Thank you for the expert's comments on the possible ID, and the educating part on the brand and bump. I will record it as a male Indigo Flash with a strong likelihood.

Horace