Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Phuket butterflies

  1. #1
    Allan Teo Guest

    Default Phuket butterflies

    Hi
    I just came mucking around the bushes in Phuket.
    The insect life is very rich there especially in the
    south (Promthep cape) area.

    Here are a small selection of butterflies I found flying around
    me. I also noticed Hawk Moths feeding during the day, a
    rare occurance, as they normally feed at night, I thought
    it is a humming bird - looks very interesting - All photos
    using D70 + 80-400 VR lens.







    The orange butterfly was taken at phuket butterfly farm and insectarium.
    I do not recommend going as the place is very run down and no live
    insects. All insects are dead and breaking into pieces. Entry 200Baht.


    The millepede in phuket has a weapon , a prick and when you
    hold its body some of them will swing around agressively and
    poke you or even attempt to bite you.. These millepede are
    quite large around 4 inches and has no smell unlike the small
    Singapore types.
    All photos here Tamron 90 Di , one hand holding over a
    mineral water bottle. the other hand holding the millepede
    so it won't run away.








  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    Hi Allan, welcome to B-Pals. Nice pics you have there. Thanks for sharing.


    All photos here Tamron 90 Di , one hand holding over a mineral water bottle. the other hand holding the millepede so it won't run away.
    Just wondering, then how do u shoot? Timer?

    There are a few things that u have to take note when posting:

    1. Try to resize (and maybe crop) your pics.
    2. For non-butt, non-moth, please post in 'Insects and other critters'.


    Regards.
    NEO Chee Beng

  3. #3
    Allan Teo Guest

    Default

    Hi
    I have corrected the posts, sorry about that.

    I steadied the camera over the mineral water bottle.
    The bottle had the cap on so it could not deflate.
    I pressed the camera hard on the bottle.

    Tamron90di set to manual focus, took many shots
    moving millimeters forward and backward,

    My finger was on the shutter button and gripping the
    camera so I can fire the shots easily. F# was set
    to F11.

    Since I was using only 1 hand, timer was not possible,
    so when I saw it was sharp , i press the shutter button.

    Maybe you can 'move this post' to the appropriate forum.
    I 'thought' I was posting in the butterfly forum. Anyway
    I'll be more careful next time.


    Regds
    Allan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Hi Allan, welcome to B'fly pal

    u miss resizing yr lime b'fly shot

    anyway, just curious.. where in Phuket did you went shooting b'fly? I'm likely to go there for a short holiday in a few weeks or months time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,649

    Default

    Phuket? There's also a butterfly farm there somewhere in the middle of town. It's combined with an aquarium. You should pay that place a visit. I took some nice Leopard Lacewing shots there some years back.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Teo
    Hi
    I have corrected the posts, sorry about that.
    No problem. You should post it at 600pixels wide. That should do it for most screen resolutions.


    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Teo
    Maybe you can 'move this post' to the appropriate forum.
    I 'thought' I was posting in the butterfly forum. Anyway
    I'll be more careful next time.
    It's in the general discussion forum. I think we'll leave it there for the time being.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    Phuket? There's also a butterfly farm there somewhere in the middle of town. It's combined with an aquarium. You should pay that place a visit. I took some nice Leopard Lacewing shots there some years back.
    great!!! finally, I can take my macro len for a holiday as well

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Teo
    The orange butterfly was taken at phuket butterfly farm and insectarium. I do not recommend going as the place is very run down and no live insects. All insects are dead and breaking into pieces. Entry 200Baht.
    Simon... oops! Missed Allan's advice regarding the butterfly farm. I was there some time in 2000, if I recall correctly. The place was quite interesting with many exotic species. Perhaps you can check out with the locals first before going there. In any case, 200baht is not a lot of money compared with the butt farms around the region. I stayed at the Allamanda hotel where there were also many butts around the Lantana in the gardens.

    That 'orange butterfly' (it's called Dryas julia) - supposedly a South American butt which can be found in Mexico and Peru. It belongs to the family Heliconiidae which, like our local Danainae, are 'poisonous' to some predators.

    Some species of this family have been known to survive for up to 6 months - making it the longest-surviving family of butterflies, compared to the average of 2-4 weeks for most tropical butterflies.

    There was a good article on Heliconiids in a past issue of the National Geographic. Those who subscribe to it can read all about this fascinating family of butterflies.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    6,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    Simon... oops! Missed Allan's advice regarding the butterfly farm. I was there some time in 2000, if I recall correctly. The place was quite interesting with many exotic species. Perhaps you can check out with the locals first before going there. In any case, 200baht is not a lot of money compared with the butt farms around the region. I stayed at the Allamanda hotel where there were also many butts around the Lantana in the gardens.

    That 'orange butterfly' (it's called Dryas julia) - supposedly a South American butt which can be found in Mexico and Peru. It belongs to the family Heliconiidae which, like our local Danainae, are 'poisonous' to some predators.

    Some species of this family have been known to survive for up to 6 months - making it the longest-surviving family of butterflies, compared to the average of 2-4 weeks for most tropical butterflies.

    There was a good article on Heliconiids in a past issue of the National Geographic. Those who subscribe to it can read all about this fascinating family of butterflies.
    its okie, I don't mind walking around looking for them :bsmileo:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    15,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elbowed Pierrot
    its okie, I don't mind walking around looking for them :bsmileo:
    Here's a shot of the Leopard Lacewing (Cethosia cyane cyane) which is a close relative of our local Malay Lacewing and Plain Lacewing. Do look out for it. This species is more common in southern Thailand and can also be found on the Langkawi islands and Penang. The females appear white when in flight, whilst the males appear orange.

    Shot on Fuji Velvia and scanned. Used a Tokina ATX 100mm macro at that time, with an F70.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us