Thread: Is this Gerosis...

Default Is this Gerosis...

This is a new species for me , unfortunately its' only a record shot. Pic taken today at SICC "Hill top".

Is this possibly a Gerosis Sinica Minima or? Is the white on the abdomen also found on the limax or phisara spp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ben Jin

Hmmm... quite a lot of strange skippers appearing in Singapore lately? Or with the "army" of butt shooters around now, we have a higher statistical chance of discovering more new species. From the pic, I'd agree with you that it's a Gerosis sinica minima. Based on C&P4, it doesn't even exist in Singapore! Well done! The white abdomen is characteristic that is not found in either of the other two species that I have voucher specimens of - G. limax and G. phisara. So this adds one more species to the master checklist for Singapore!

I'll make that addition to the Singapore checklist, which has officially hit 259+1 species.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander
    Hmmm... quite a lot of strange skippers appearing in Singapore lately? Or with the "army" of butt shooters around now, we have a higher statistical chance of discovering more new species. From the pic, I'd agree with you that it's a Gerosis sinica minima. Based on C&P4, it doesn't even exist in Singapore! Well done! The white abdomen is characteristic that is not found in either of the other two species that I have voucher specimens of - G. limax and G. phisara. So this adds one more species to the master checklist for Singapore!

I'll make that addition to the Singapore checklist, which has officially hit 259+1 species.
    Thanks for the confirmation only got time to capture the image. Don't even got time to take a close-up shot. Very fast flyer!
    Ben Jin

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser
    Thanks for the confirmation only got time to capture the image. Don't even got time to take a close-up shot. Very fast flyer!
    Hmmm... after checking both C&P4 and Fleming, there's some confusion again. G. sinica has a larger white area on the forewing. Your specimen has a white abdomen as described as G.sinica, but the description of G. tristis is also consistent with a white abdomen for the female.

So I'll have to put it under another "mystery" butt list for the moment.
    Khew SK
    Butterflies of Singapore BLOG
    Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try