Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lycaenidae species collection

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Horace, you got an interesting pair there. The female at the top is clear- cut N. subperusia. Note the very narrow space between the two adjacent bands. The male at the bottom is another matter. The lower space in space 4 is very wide while the upper space in space 5 is narrower than the postdiscal band to the inside while much wider than the submarginal band. At least in N. sanaya the width of the two spaces are equally wide, while the marginal spot in space 3 looks similar.
    This is one of those individual variation that can cause a lot of confusion. It is a good thing that you bred the specimen otherwise we will not be aware of it
    TL Seow
    Great! In that case, I can regard the male as of N. subperusia as well.

Many thanks for the ID assistance.
    Horace

A correction
    The width of the space at space 5 is equal to the submarginal band not ' much wider@.

Page 1
    Pic 1 Female I. helicon. Note forewing postdiscal band staggered in an arc. Hindwing slightly angular. Probably slightly deformed.
    pic 2 Male Nacaduba beroe. Note somewhat broad forewing submarginal band with lower inner margin not indented by the veins; large submarginal spot in space 6 on the hindwing; wing base noticeably darkened.

TL Seow
    Pic 1 Female I. helicon.
    bp-nacadubax2.jpg

pic 2 Male Nacaduba beroe.
    bp-pointed-line-blue.jpg

Page 3

Skyblue
    Pic1 N. subperusia lysa female. Note width of space 4 & 5 between postdical band and the submarginal much narrower than either; ocellus ringed with clear orange.
    Pic2 N. pactolus male. Note hindwing large triangular marginal spot in space 6 pushing submarginal spot inwards; sharp drop in the inner margin between the submarginal spots in space 5 & 6.
    Commander
    Pic3 N. pactolus female.
    Silverstreak
    Pic4. N.subperusia lysa female
    Peacock Royal
    Pic5 N. pactolus male.
    Wong1979
    Pic6. Nacaduba kurava male. Note broad band as in N beroe, but inner margin gently scallopped to gently stepped lower down. Large submarginal spot in space 6 on the hindwing. Wingbase not darkened. Female with larger spots ,deeply scallopped inner margin and hindwing large spot ovate. (see Ellen Tan's N. beroe)
    Pic7 unknown probably N. berenice.
    Horace
    Pic8. Nacaduba sanaya female. Note width of space 4 & 5 on hindwing between submarginal and postdiscal bands as wide as either; forewing postdiscal band dislocated at upper end; rounded large marginal spot in space 3 next to ocellus.

TL Seow
    Pic1 N. subperusia lysa female
    nacaduba_9755.jpg

Pic2 N. pactolus male
    NacadubasppLT_Nov05.jpg

Pic3 N. pactolus female.
    bc2x-nacaduba-sp.jpg

Pic4. N.subperusia lysa female
    _MG_4055.jpg

Pic5 N. pactolus male.
    UFO%40LT%20Aug%2006.jpg

Pic6. Nacaduba kurava male
    100107-prp-299.jpg

Pic7 unknown probably N. berenice.
    100107-%28prp%29-312.jpg

Pic8. Nacaduba sanaya female.
    Nacaduba_UFO_600x400.jpg
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

Continued...

Page 4
    Silverstreak

Nacaduba berenice icena
    The commonest of the 6-line Blue is also the most variable. In particular the forewing postdiscal band can be dislocated at all points, not seen in the other species. The forewing submarginal band is narrow; the upper three spots are somewhat pyramidal and the lower three narrow rectangles. The hindwing submarginal spots tend to be broad or distorted Vs. Females have marginal spots which bulged in the middle, while males have more level spots.
    Note, all females except male at seepage and the Catopyrops.

Painted Jezebel
    poor pic, probably N.berenice.

Last pic probably just Jamides celeno.

TL Seow
    Silverstreak's Pictures:
    _MG_8105.jpg
    ufo1.jpg
    ufo1invert.jpg

Painted Jezebel's Pictures
    IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg

Last Pic (Sliverstreak)
    _MG_5263.jpg
    Anthony
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one.

WoW!!

Many Thanks Seow!!!
    Sunny

~~When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going~~

Sunny's Facebook on Butterflies!

~

Red face

AN APOLOGY

Sorry guys ! This is where I need to take humble pie. After checking all the specimens I realised it is not correct for the male of N. subperusia to have the gap so wide. The operative words in the key is that the striae in space 4 & 5 NEARING TOUCHING which is not quite the case here even with the females. More over the postdiscal band is noticeably dislocated near the top end which is not so in N. subperussia.
    All those which I have identified as N. subperusia are N. sanaya.

Once more , very sorry guys !!

TL Seow

Seow, thanks for the id of my shots.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise. Your descriptions of the species are very useful for us to progress to the next level of understanding and learning many of these under-studied lycaenids.

We are very fortunate and honoured to have you here.

AN APOLOGY

Sorry guys ! This is where I need to take humble pie. After checking all the specimens I realised it is not correct for the male of N. subperusia to have the gap so wide. The operative words in the key is that the striae in space 4 & 5 NEARING TOUCHING which is not quite the case here even with the females. More over the postdiscal band is noticeably dislocated near the top end which is not so in N. subperussia.
    All those which I have identified as N. subperusia are N. sanaya.

Once more , very sorry guys !!

TL Seow
    No problem, Seow.

Khew has both male and female specimens of the Four-Line Blue I bred. Hence we can further confirm the ID with the upperside shots of them at a later date (when Khew has the time to process the shots).
    Horace

Default Identification of Nacaduba sanaya elioti

Thankfully, Horace's breeding success means that the extent of variation of N. sanaya is better known. I thought that a new key is in order for N. sanaya to prevent future confusion, and also for N. subperusia in case someone manage to shoot one.

Nacaduba sanaya elioti

Forewing postdiscal band distinctly dislocated at vein 6.
    Hindwing submarginal spots in space 4&5 low-domed, and usually the postdiscal band is a band's width from them, but sometimes fairly close. Submarginal spot in space 6 a llttle larger than the spot in space 5. Marginal spot in space 3 rounded.

Nacaduba subperusia lysa

Forewing postdiscal band not or hardly dislocated.
    Hindwing submarginal spots in space 4&5 high-domed, the postdiscal band very close, and their white striae almost touch. Submarginal spot in space 6 large and about 2x that of the spot in space 5. Ocellus ringed with distinct orange.

TL Seow
    Ciao for now. Off for hol - 2 wks.

Default Jamides ID

The photos were shot yesterday in Singapore. They are of the same individual.
    The hindwing orange markings extend to vein 4 and the white spot inside the submerginal black spot in space 3 is almost disappearing. There is a small additional submarginal orange marking along vein 5.
    I guess it can still be the Metallic Caerulian but can it be something else?
    Yano
    Attached Images Attached Images