Thread: Doubtful IDs from Nepal

Hybrid View

The difference between A. dubius & jhora as given in the key of BMP (butterflies of the Malay Peninsula.)

Antennal apiculus beginning beyond the thickest part of the club, & usually at right angle to the club.............................................. A. jhora.

Antennal apiculus beginning at the thickest part of the club & not at right angle to the club. Wings more rounded....................................A. dubius.

It is impossible to judge the position of the apiculus except in a top down view in a set specimen.

Valid A. jhora India for comparison.
    Note front antenna with the apiculus (tip) bent out.
    http://www.flutters.org/home/photoga...icture&id=2733

Post 63.

1, 2, 3, $ 4.
    Aeromachus jhora jhora. ;Antennal club with a more gradual thickening ; FW cilia usually chequered.

Post 65.
    1 Aeromachus pygmaeus. Correction: A. dubius impha.
    Antennal club abruptly thicken, the end rounded without a point.FW cilia generally dark, not chequered.

2 & 3 . Aeromachus dubious impha. (Zooming into image 3 shows club with tip )
    Antennal club somewhat abruptly thicken but ending with a tip. FW cilia usually chequered.

Post 66. Mating pair, male above.
    Aeromachus jhora jhora.
    Antennal club gradually thicken with a tip. FW cilia usually chequered.

TL Seow: Cheers.
    Last edited by Psyche; 04-Mar-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Thank you so much for going into detail, sir. I'm still stuck with Post 65. #1 Aeromachus pygmaeus though and some of such individuals. The FW cilia isn't checkered but the antennae is long and gradual. In that particular pic, the antennae isn't well focused, my bad. Here's a more proper one of the same individual. I agree with you on Aeromachus dubious impha, and since both were flying around together and were taken on same date, I think #1 Aeromachus pygmaeus is also Aeromachus dubious impha. I have some specimens avaialbe but sadly I cannot dissect because I don't have the miscroscope. I'll let you know what comes out when I dissect it one day. Thank you for everything again.

65. #1. Focused antenna

5.jpg
    Sajan KC

Post 71.

Concur with you that Post 65 #1 is A. dubius impha.
    The antennal club is definitely elongate.

There is very little difference between A. jhora & dubius impha.

What the description meant is in A. jhora the antennal club is longer, more gradual, becoming thickest, than narrowing forward before the apiculus is joined.
    AS seen here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroma...File:Jhora.jpg

In A. dubius impha, the antennal club at its thickest is joined by the apiculus, thus the club is shorter with a more abrupt appearance.

TL Seow: Cheers.

Wow, thank you sir! That really simplifies it. And A. pygmaeus will always have antenna without apiculus, right? At all instances?
    Sajan KC