Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pygmy Posy or dwaf Common Posy?

Default Pygmy Posy or dwarf Common Posy?

This fella which resembles a Common Posy, was seen sunbathing close by a male Common Posy at USR yesterday. Its size is small just like a Pygmy Posy, the upper side is exactly like a male Common Posy. The submarginal orange band is extended to vein 3 and the 2 black lines at the dorsum are touching, I understand that these 2 are features of a Pygmy? However, the hind wing apex, between V6 and V7 is orange. What I understand is this part of the Pygmy should be black in colour?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by itsmemei; 31-Aug-2019 at 06:44 PM.

This is a Pygmy Posy I shot back in 2017, the hind wing apex, between V6 and V7 is black in colour.

It is a male dwarf Common Posy.
    If the upperside HW have blue metallic scales ,that is already diagnostic.

D. ravindra :Orange deeper, more extensive;eg FW between basal band & mid-cell bar & HW in space 6 ; Male termen straighter. HW orange band reaching to about vein 2.
    Labial palps (palpi) about 2/3 black.
    Male & female.
    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7282/...22b7c1cc_b.jpg
    https://wanderingbutterflyeffect.fil...729ce5860e.jpg

D. rufotaenia; FW orange dull ochreous; FW basally white reaching near to mid-cell bar; HW space 6 white ;Male termen rounded. HW orange band reaching vein 3 or more in male, less in female.
    Labial palps about half black.
    Male & female.
    http://www.butterflycircle.com/check...gmy-Posy)1.jpg
    https://a4.pbase.com/g9/25/686825/2/...5.UB5RQfy4.jpg

The FW here is typical D. ravindra.:HW orange band only have a few orange scales beyond vein 2 ;The black bands forming a 'V' is a result of the small size & the markings becoming close.

There may be some gene introgression from crossing. Animals do not differentiate between the concept of species. If they can mate they will mate. The progeny is left to us humans to decide what are
    they.

TL Seow: Cheers.
    Last edited by Psyche; 01-Sep-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks for the input, Dr Seow! It's interesting to know that there's a possibility of genetic introgression between these 2 species.

Nice intermediate one! The blue male immediately excludes rufotaenia. If this was female then things would be more complicated. I dunno why i keep seeing intermediates but never rufotaenia
    Aaron Soh

True, Aaron, luckily this was a male.

These intermediates are relatively common. I've shot quite a few recently!

Here's Horace's mating pair of a male pygmy posy and female common posy:

Posy_mating_pair.jpg
    cheers
    Jonathan

Wow! Thanks Jon. Did the intermediates that you shot have any feature of the Pygmy Posy?
    Loh Mei Yee

I would add that for rufotaenia, the outer edge of space 6 on the hindwing is always devoid of orange scales (in the male, slight orange dusting in the female). In ravindra the orange scaling in this space is always more extensive.

So a combination of all the previously mentioned characteristics will have to be taken into account for identification
    Aaron Soh

Yup, Aaron, that was what I noticed in the drupadia in the first pic, the orange scaling on the outer edge of HW space 6 is extensive but its mini size and the 2 black bands forming a 'V' got me confused of the ID... but that was before I came to know that both M and F of the rufotaenia are actually brown on the upperside! :P :P

Now the question is...are these intermediates a result of genetic introgression between these 2 species
    Loh Mei Yee