Thread: Pygmy Posy or dwaf Common Posy?

Hybrid View

Nice intermediate one! The blue male immediately excludes rufotaenia. If this was female then things would be more complicated. I dunno why i keep seeing intermediates but never rufotaenia
    Aaron Soh

True, Aaron, luckily this was a male.

These intermediates are relatively common. I've shot quite a few recently!

Here's Horace's mating pair of a male pygmy posy and female common posy:

Posy_mating_pair.jpg
    cheers
    Jonathan

Wow! Thanks Jon. Did the intermediates that you shot have any feature of the Pygmy Posy?
    Loh Mei Yee

I would add that for rufotaenia, the outer edge of space 6 on the hindwing is always devoid of orange scales (in the male, slight orange dusting in the female). In ravindra the orange scaling in this space is always more extensive.

So a combination of all the previously mentioned characteristics will have to be taken into account for identification
    Aaron Soh

Yup, Aaron, that was what I noticed in the drupadia in the first pic, the orange scaling on the outer edge of HW space 6 is extensive but its mini size and the 2 black bands forming a 'V' got me confused of the ID... but that was before I came to know that both M and F of the rufotaenia are actually brown on the upperside! :P :P

Now the question is...are these intermediates a result of genetic introgression between these 2 species
    Loh Mei Yee

Yeah definitely. They're very closely related and D. rufotaenia is quite rare, so they may be forced to take the common D. ravindra as mates.
    cheers
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by itsmemei View Post
    Yup, Aaron, that was what I noticed in the drupadia in the first pic, the orange scaling on the outer edge of HW space 6 is extensive but its mini size and the 2 black bands forming a 'V' got me confused of the ID... but that was before I came to know that both M and F of the rufotaenia are actually brown on the upperside! :P :P

Now the question is...are these intermediates a result of genetic introgression between these 2 species
    Oh whoops sorry, didn't see that! Was this pygmy found at USR?
    Aaron Soh