Thread: Sabah, March-April 2019

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
    What??! That is hardly pathetic at all!! I would love to see this sp. in the field someday. Apparently this ssp. is quite a lot larger than the other sspp.

Nice diversity of butterflies there
    Aaron, the size difference is apparent enough for me to instantly suspect this species despite never having seen one before. Lemon confirmed it for me when I shared the photo with him that day.

By the way Aaron, we encountered several individuals of Kallima at the back of the lodge and in the waterfall area. I've been looking around on the web and I've found that Kallima buxtoni, commonly known as the Bornean Leafwing, occurs there. Is this an updated taxa? I read somewhere that it has been updated or kallima limborgii buxtoni. I have a photo which I will post later on once I've dug it out. Hopefully you have some insights on this matter.

Anyway, it's time for a short commercial break.

These cheerful Impatiens were planted around the entrance of the lodge. We also saw plenty of them dotting the sides of the road along the forest slopes on the drive in. Lemon mentioned that the beautiful and endemic Bornean Birdwing (Troides andromache andromache) made its lofty rounds around the place every day when he went in January. Unfortunately for us, this species wasn't flying during our stay. You bet I was hoping for one to swoop down from the sky to feed on the Impatiens. One species did come down to the flowers though, the Wanderer (Pareronia valeria lutescens). I didn't manage to get a good shot. Uncle Khew has a much better picture.

BOH tea and primary rainforest: the only way to start the day.

The sunlight pouring through our accommodation early in the morning.

Uncle Khew surveying the busy carpark for butterflies to shoot. This was on our first day of shooting, a Sunday, when the waterfall drew many visitors. See that puddle in the middle? Quite a number of species were taken there when they descended for a drink in the scorching weather.

Shoot! (Image courtesy of Uncle Khew)

Image courtesy of Mei Yee:

Take a break.

Beyond this bridge was a good place to find interesting species. Heliophorus kiana, Euripus nyctelius borneensis were amongst the better finds.

If you look closely at the picture, there is a gate in the distance and a fence bordering the forest edge. Along that fence and up the narrow slope (beyond what's shown here) was where I got my most important shot of the trip. It's not a particularly rare species there, but one that simply hasn't been photographed much before.
    Last edited by Banded Yeoman; 21-Apr-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    cheers
    Jonathan