Thread: Sabah, March-April 2019

Threaded View

Moving on to the butterflies: Dr Seow, Aaron, your expertise will be much appreciated for IDs and correcting subspecies...

We didn't need to go anywhere outside of the waterfall area to shoot. The car park at the lodge provided a good puddling ground, while the stream that ran along the back of the lodge (and up towards the waterfall) had many species patrolling it or going about their daily activities in the trees. Around the lodge, Metallic Caeruleans (Jamides alecto) were numerous, always fluttering around the ornamental gingers. There was a short and well maintained trail that led from the lodge to the waterfall. Many species were shot along the trail, as well at the waterfall itself.

This being my first trip overseas to find butterflies, nearly all the species we saw were new to me. I felt like a child, getting excited over every new species that fluttered my way. One species that I've always longed to see (this phrase may be repeated quite often) was this:

The Green Dragontail (Lamproptera meges meges)

They're truly a peculiar species in all aspects, from their stretched proportions to their buzzing, dragonfly-like flight.
    The gorgeous Yellow Glassy Tiger (Parantica aspasia shelfordi) was often seen fluttering around the lodge and in the rainforest trail. Very common but very beautiful.

Another common sight there which is awfully rare back in Singapore was the Silver Royal (Ancema blanka blanka). Again, this is the first time I'm seeing this shimmering species. On the first day, about 4 different individuals were sighted.

These Banded Puffins (Appias pandione whiteheadi) were dirt common. They frustratingly resembled one of our target species, Graphium stratiotes, in flight. Skittish as any Appias species, they were a challenge to shoot. It was interesting to watch how the bright white butterflies disappear upon landing on the ground to puddle.

These were also quite numerous, but I have no idea what they are. Some Appias sp.?
    ID correction: The Plain Puffin (Appias indra aemilia)
    Last edited by Banded Yeoman; 28-Apr-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    cheers
    Jonathan