Thread: Butterflies of Thailand - Complete list 2018 - PDF file

Default Butterflies of Thailand - Complete list 2018 - PDF file

I'm happy to present the new release of the CHECKLIST OF THE BUTTERFLIES OF THAILAND.

1299 species, 1715 species and subspecies, many new records and some new species. Thanks to Inayoshi Yutaka, Adam Cotton, Dave Sergeant and Supat Sophonviwatkul, impossible to complete this list without their invaluable help.

PDF DOWNLOAD: https://www.thaibutterflies.com/butt...-thailand-co…/

Butterflies of Thailand - Complete List 2018

Uncle Antonio, congrats on this new checklist

I love the ENTIRE pages that were purely Arhopala! Haha
    cheers
    Jonathan

A great list for cross checking, Antonio.

I am curious. What happened to Trogonoptera brookiana?

TL Seow: Cheers.

As far as we know, never recorded in Thailand, just specimens labeled Thailand by a probably unscrupulous dealer. BTW not present in the Northern states of Malaysia too.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiud View Post
    As far as we know, never recorded in Thailand, just specimens labeled Thailand by a probably unscrupulous dealer. BTW not present in the Northern states of Malaysia too.
    I presumed those records from Yala inside the Yukata websits are from dealers.
    http://yutaka.it-n.jp/pap/10020010.html

In Peninsular Malaysia the species is found in the states of Perak, Kelantan, Trengganu, along the spine of the mountain range in Pahang, Selangor , N. Sembilan , & a separate population in Johor.
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile...r-Malaysia.png

I have not heard of any record from Kedah or Perlis.
    However, the main mountain range extend all the way to the Thai border so they would be expected to be seen occasionally in border areas like Betong, Hala Bala.

Some twenty years ago the Malayan Nature Society sent a survey team of volunteer members to Langkawi & they came back with a list that includes Trogonoptera brookiana.
    This was so surprising as it is hard to imagine anyone could make such a mistake.

The only other large metallic green Papilio here is P. palinurus.
    This is high flying, but in the late afternoon around 5 pm. the female seemingly drop out of the sky to feed on lantana, creating a dazzling green display from the lower sun.
    They can be off in an instance.
    To the uninitiated who witness this green brilliance only to see it disappear in a flash ,it must be the famed T. brookiana.
    This is the only explanation I can think off.

TL Seow: Cheers.