Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
Post 75.
3. is Telicota besta. In field shot it often is too orange & confusing.

T. besta brand closer to inner margin of black space ;UnH veins across band very lightly dark-dusted.
Face is paler & often whitish.

T. augias ;Uniform deep orange; Brand straight often occupying the full width of the black space.
UnH veins across band not dark-dusted; Face is orangey.

Overtime I have realise that the veins in T. augias should not be prominent.

Those deep orange images with the underside veins bulging & prominent are probably T. besta ,especially so if the face is whitish.
HOwever, I am still not absolutely certain.
Dr Seow, thanks for confirming with me the first 2 identities. They are fairly straightforward and cannot be mistaken if both sides are captured.

Regarding no. 3, the veins are actually not dark-dusted. It is just the shadows of the veins. I maintain that the colour really was a bright orange in the field and not just in the photograph.

I've included a cropped image of the other wing's stigma in post 75 to clear any doubts regarding its position and shape. Note that in C&P4, the feature of having the stigma filling the discal black striae is actually for T. hilda and not T. augias. I keep going back to the male that Soon Chye reared, since it has the confirmation of the genitalia. I have yet to find another close shot of a valid T/ augias for comparison. For T. besta, I take Horace's reared individuals as valid, since the features are all shown clearly. I believe Mr Foo has a nice T. augias upperside somewhere and I'm looking for it now.

I do agree, however, that my male leans towards T. besta and the colour is a problematic variation.

Telicota augias_male_upperside.jpgTelicota_sp_03_adult_c.jpg