Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
Unless there are other species of 6line blues in Borneo, I am quite confident it is N. normani.
Wingshapes are easily distorted in photos & I have learned not to rely on them too much.

You cna pretty much discount N. berenice , calauria & kurava .These have define black striae in the bands.
That leaves N. beroe & normani. The dark striae here are poor as can be seen in the set specimens & a field shot.
Note the wingshape is also distorted.
The large dark submarginal spots match very well.

The ssp of N beroe appeared to be the same in Sumatra, Malaya & Borneo.
N. beroe is not rare & there are good examples. The submarginal spots are different & the wingbase usually darkened.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2iA9V4YMtR...0/DSC_0245.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HvpFxJKK7J...0/DSC_0096.JPG

The aberration judging by its large dark submarginal spots is also N. normani.

TL Seow: Cheers.
According to Seki and Takanami(1991), there are four species on Borneo with the dark lines alongside the striae: kurava, calauria, berenice and normani. I felt that this specimen was beroe because it lacks this feature and also because another diagnostic feature of beroe according to the same authors was that it lacks a pair of costal white dashes above the subbasal lines on the forewing.

On Borneo there seems to be a tendency for species to have very pronounced submarginal spots(especially females), even though the Bornean subspecies might be the same as the Malayan subspecies. So although the subspecific name may be the same, they are still quite different in appearance nevertheless because of biogeographical factors. I personally feel that it would not be very useful to compare specimens from Malaya and Borneo because despite the identical name, they are still quite different physically. In fact all the Nacaduba from Borneo that supposedly are the same subspecies as those from Malaya(that's all except angusta and berenice) look different enough to be treated as different races but are not distinguished for some reason.

The darkened wing bases seem to be a feature only found in males as Seki and Takanami illustrate a female without this feature.

As for the aberration, i initially thought it was normani as well but the dark grey borders on the dorsal hindwing are a thread so i'm stumped.