Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arhopala trogon

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi,
    I believe I also saw one today. Attachment 22761. Am I right?

Cheers,
    Yik
    This cannot be trogon. I'm very certain this should be Arhopala corinda. The whitish area at the fw dorsum and the strongly contrasting basal dark scaling are diagnostic (in trogon the dark scales are not so apparent).

This specimen is slightly aberrant but still the spots forming the post-discal band on the forewing and spots 6 and 7 on the hindwing are distinctive because they are more rounded than in pretty much all examples of aurea and trogon. In particular, spots 6 and 7 on the hindwing are much larger and rounder than the one in space 5 (the shape difference is quite noticeable). In aurea and trogon there is no discernible shape difference between these spots and they are always very rectangular.

There are also subtle differences in wing shape that rule out aurea/trogon.

I'd be glad if someone with C&P4 at hand can verify this
    Aaron Soh

I think you got it right here.
    The markings are as for A. corinda.
    My main concern is that the marginal spot in space 2 is large & rounded much as in A. trogon, whereas in A. corinda it tends to be somewhat flattened.

TL Seow: Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    I think you got it right here.
    The markings are as for A. corinda.
    My main concern is that the marginal spot in space 2 is large & rounded much as in A. trogon, whereas in A. corinda it tends to be somewhat flattened.

TL Seow: Cheers.
    Thanks, Dr Seow. That spot is troubling but i decided it had to be corinda because all the other features were quite consistent. There are very few images of ssp. acestes for comparison

Of course the surest way to tell is by observing the dorsal as it flies. If this is indeed corinda, it would have been be a deep blue
    Aaron Soh

I can see some greenish scales showing through on the upperside though. We'll.. Whatever colour it is, it's quite bright and A. corinda won't show that. I believe it might be an aberration of A. trogon

Quote Originally Posted by Banded Yeoman View Post
    I can see some greenish scales showing through on the upperside though. We'll.. Whatever colour it is, it's quite bright and A. corinda won't show that. I believe it might be an aberration of A. trogon
    Yeah, we'll wait for a more definitive sighting. It's probably premature to record this as corinda
    Aaron Soh

Arhopala corinda is a fair bit larger than A. trogon. With the dusky upperside, it would be unmistakable in the field.
    cheers
    Jonathan