Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Some Moths That Need ID (Part 4)...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 14 Diduga flavicostata. Arctiinae.

    Note the long simple antenna of Arctiinae.
    From HK.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/122744046
    Taiwan.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettaman/3994795709/
    This Australian website appeared to be in error. (should be Cyclosiella sp.)
    http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.co...ct/flavic.html

    TL Seow
    Last edited by Psyche; 24-Feb-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 7 . Most likely Nishada chilomorpha. Arctiinae.

    The appearance is fairly typical of an Arctiinine.
    The FW is completely unmarked.
    Note on the left FW, the colour deepens/darkens towards the lower basal half.
    On the lower or inner margin (dorsum) is a dark line between the lighter & darker areas.
    These features will only match one species in MoB ie, Nishada chilomorpha.
    (The left FW is partially damaged in the MoB image below.)
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-7/...osiini_3_1.php
    The only difference is that the image from MoB have a bit of dark border on the outer margin (termen).

    It is quite difficult to compare low-res museum specimen image . The paratype specimen shown dates to 1977 & is in poor condition.

    TL Seow

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 16.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12650936803/
    Is there a size error here?

    The only likely match seen is this.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-15...rrodes_3_1.php
    http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php...e?taxid=224755
    http://www.jpmoth.org/~dmoth/Digital...a%20renasa.htm

    The size here is about 2cm body length.
    The grey fasciation on the wings may be slight.

    TL Seow

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 13.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12651213384/

    Although a typical Lymantrine, this one proves very difficult to ID.
    If this moth is in MoB then it is very likely this.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-5/...miini_14_3.php

    The markings resembles Euproctis but the fasciae are dark not pale.
    The 'spot' & the inner fascia are diffusely broadened to the costa (forward margin).
    As stated in the text the male is very variable & may be plain brown.


    TL Seow

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    No. 16.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12650936803/
    Is there a size error here?

    The only likely match seen is this.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-15...rrodes_3_1.php
    http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php...e?taxid=224755
    http://www.jpmoth.org/~dmoth/Digital...a%20renasa.htm

    The size here is about 2cm body length.
    The grey fasciation on the wings may be slight.

    TL Seow
    There is no size error... The moth in that picture is small (about 6-8 mm in body length)... So, i think it is not Anereuthina renosa...

    Here is the side view of this moth - http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12739447544/.
    Last edited by Lanzz; 24-Feb-2014 at 02:37 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanzz View Post
    There is no size error... The moth in that picture is small (about 6-8 mm in body length)... So, i think it is not Anereuthina renosa...

    Here is the side view of this moth - http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12739447544/.

    I see. The wingshape & size suggest it is a Tortricid moth.

    TL Seow

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default Correction

    No. 13.

    These are correct images of Rhypotoses glebula. They closely matched the image in MoB.
    The differently shaped fasciation, lack of the black discal spot & variegated patches makes no. 13 an unlikely match.
    No. 13 is probably a species not recorded in Borneo.
    http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php...e?taxid=189583

    TL Seow

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    No. 13.

    These are correct images of Rhypotoses glebula. They closely matched the image in MoB.
    The differently shaped fasciation, lack of the black discal spot & variegated patches makes no. 13 an unlikely match.
    No. 13 is probably a species not recorded in Borneo.
    http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php...e?taxid=189583

    TL Seow
    Here is the picture of moth of the same species with No. 13. But, the color of this one is paler...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1110061...7163/lightbox/

    Look like my pictures is not matched with the images of Rhypotoses glebula from boldsystems.org...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 17
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111006196@N05/12650981423/

    This is another Tortricid moth.
    For example this European Acleris emergana shows the same distorted forward margin(costa)
    http://www.hmbg.org/uploads/images/1...s-emargana.jpg
    Another A. sparsana shows a similar wing pattern.
    http://www.tuin-thijs.com/images/vli...ller-4-31-.jpg

    TL Seow

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    No. 8 Closest to Scopula planidisca but not quite right.
    Two species with large HW discal black spot.
    The wing margins are more strongly darkened in planidisca.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-10...ulini_5_10.php
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-10...pulini_5_9.php

    No. 12 probably Scopula parodites.
    http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-10...ulini_5_12.php
    The diagnosis is one of exclusion.
    4 discal black dots, wingshape, no special mark or shading & its occurence in the area.

    TL Seow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us